Another Fruitless Breakfast (K2 Breakfast Bowl)

Today I am continuing my quest to lose these stubborn pounds I put on during spring break. As I mentioned yesterday in my post "Don't Eat Fruit?" I am experimenting with changing up my breakfast routine. Giving up the fruit is probably just a temporary phase in this process as I am normally a lover of fruit. Especially for breakfast.

This morning's wacky new breakfast is a combination of hard-boiled eggs and natto. If you've been reading my recent posts, you already know all about natto. This Japanese fermented soybean product is quite strange, to say the least. But I am committed to eating it a couple of times per week in order to accrue the MAJOR health benefits: Vitamin K2, specifically.

In my breakfast this morning, I have THREE excellent sources of Vitamin K2! (I am not skimping here!) Pastured eggs (from chickens who eat GRASS!) as well as grass-fed butter oil and natto. The only other ingredients are pink Himalayan salt and freshly ground black pepper.



K2 Breakfast Bowl

3 eggs (from free-range chickens, if possible)
1 teaspoon grass-fed butter oil (or butter)
1 packet natto (ditch the mustard and soy sauce)
1 sprinkle Himalayan pink salt
1 sprinkle black pepper

Place eggs in small saucepan. Cover with cold water. Place over high heat. Cook until the water comes to a boil. Immediately cover pot and turn off heat. Let eggs sit for 20 minutes. Drain water and peel eggs.

Mash the eggs with butter oil. Stir in natto. Add salt and pepper to taste. ENJOY!

If you hard boil extra eggs, they reheat nicely in the microwave as long as you mash them up a bit first. Otherwise, they will explode all over the microwave. Don't ask me how I know this.

NOTE: this breakfast is VERY low carb and therefore NOT Zone compliant. If you are following a low carb regimen like Atkins, this is perfect. If you are not, I recommend adding a piece of fruit or some veggies for your carbs.

Comments