Time to Plant

Finally! Spring has taken FOREVER to get here, but I believe we are now finally out of the woods. We had snow in April and I hate snow in January. But snow in April is a true abomination. We also had a spate of 80 degree days that jumped us straight from winter into summer heat. But today truly feels like spring out there.

And spring, to me, means planting. Is there anything as miraculous on this planet as a seed sprouting? I honestly do not think there is. You take a dry, dusty little speck and stick it in the soil, say a little prayer, and then water it carefully. You wait. You watch over it. Nothing happens. You think to yourself, "Oh, those seeds must have been old!" And then, IT SPROUTS!!!

The next thing you know, you have a beautiful green plant growing right there where you planted it! (Can you tell this stuff excites me?!?)

Right now, in my decrepit garden beds, I have already sprouted sugar snap peas, Red Russian kale, rhubarb chard, mesclun lettuce mix, spinach, and collard greens. Mr. Balancing Act bought me a few herb and veggie plants which I tucked into the beds this morning. We use tons of parsley, so we put in three of those plants, as well as thyme and rosemary. I have killed quite a few rosemary plants over the years so I don't have high hopes for this one making through the winter, but we shall see.



I think I will wait a little before putting in the tomatoes, peppers and basil, since they all prefer warmer temperatures. I'm not sure how low the temps will go during the upcoming nights but I would hate to damage my poor plants before they even get a foothold.

Last year, I made such an awful mess out in the garden that I was really tempted to throw in the towel and just give up. The scene was truly ugly. Our 16 raised beds were completely taken over by weeds and I just didn't have the energy to fight them off any longer. But with the dawning of a new spring, I have been reinvigorated! And I am attempting to carve out a bit of space in between the weeds for a new batch of veggies and herbs. Hopefully this year I will be more successful!

Comments