Another Trip to England Acres

Although I had already taught 2 fitness classes, spilled a cup of coffee all over a library book and paid $32 for my mistake, and hit 2 clothing stores in search of bathing suits for my daughter, I scraped up what little energy I had left for a trip out to England Acres farm market. Because I "liked" them on Facebook, I happened to see a post that they were open on this particular Friday, whereas they are normally open only Saturdays and Sundays. I had 3 egg cartons and a glass bottle to return, so we headed west on I-70 into Frederick county.

England Acres is a beautiful farm where they raise grass-fed beef, lamb, chickens for both meat and eggs ($4 per dozen), as well as many vegetables. In addition, they sell tons of other locally raised and/or made products like breads, baked goods, dairy products of all kinds, pork, flour, pasta, and much more. If you are a wannabe locavore, this place could be one-stop shopping for you.

I purchased a couple of kohlrabi bulbs (only $1.50 each) with the greens still attached, along with some gorgeous purple onions, and a bunch of asparagus ($6). We already cooked up the asparagus which was tender and delicious (in a sauce of mirin, sesame oil, tamari, and teriyaki) alongside some beef short ribs.  (The short ribs were already in the fridge.)



I also bought a couple of beef leg bones ($5) for soup. The recipe for beef bone broth is so simple, it is ridiculous. Roast the bones with some carrots and celery (maybe an onion or two) in the oven at 350F for about 45 minutes or until well browned. Toss everything into your slow cooker, cover with water, add a splash of apple cider vinegar, and heat on high until bubbling. Turn the heat down to low and simmer for a LONG time! At least 8 hours. You can also leave it overnight, which is what I do. The longer, the better. The bones are filled with minerals which the vinegar will help to extract. The connective tissue has loads of high quality protein. The longer you cook the bones, the more you will get out of them. You can drink the broth as is, or use it as a base for a hearty soup such as lentil.

In addition, I got a grass-fed chicken and a corned beef brisket. BEWARE: the corned beef (precooked and then frozen) costs $13 per pound, so that chunk of beef ended up costing almost $50! The chicken is not cheap either: ours is slightly less than 6 pounds and cost $26. Yes, this meat is locally raised and grass-fed which makes it healthier. But if you are on a budget, these items could easily break the bank. After my fiasco at the library earlier in the day, plus the shopping extravaganza with my teenager, I ended up feeling completely drained of all life force. And cash.

Although not everything at England Acres is a monetary bargain, you will still find plenty of value for your dollars. You know exactly where this food comes from, who grew it, and how. For some folks, this is well worth the added cost in cash.

hocofood@@@

Comments

  1. I really like the chicken from Judy. I put a whole one in the crockpot on top of veggies. I have to remember to take the giblets out before I freeze it though. I put it in frozen, six hours on high. I take it out just before dinner and put it in a hot oven to crisp the skin.

    Serve the veggies with dinner, then put everything left over except the breast meat back in the crockpot with onions, carrots celery to make stock overnight. Strain it. For dinner a few days later, I heat up the stock, add the shredded meat and noodles. Chicken soup.

    We get three or four meals from the chickens. We also bought half a lamb from her in April. Making kofta tonight with ground lamb.

    Some of her veggies come from my summer CSA coop of Amish farmers. Lancaster Farm Fresh. We got kohlrabi, asparagus and red scallions Thursday.

    Love kohlrabi roasted with apples and onions.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please share your helpful questions and comments here! Thanks for being part of this balanced community!