Emergency Dessert

There is no dessert in our house right now. I have been systematically cleaning out all the junk food (there was never really very much to begin with) so now the fridge and cupboards are squeaky clean. I ran out of Almond Joy Cheesecake DAYS ago and don't have the ingredients to make another one. On our last trip to Trader Joe's I forgot 2 of the requisite items, so I am currently stuck with no sweet treats to eat. Sure, I could go out and buy some. Or I could make myself some cookies or something else. We do have the basic staples on hand. But I am trying (keyword: TRYING) to be good.

Well, good is a relative term. I am not trying to be PRISTINE in my diet. This is just not the time for that. I have made commitments in the past to go 30 days with absolutely no added sugar of any type. And I learned that I CAN do it. But most of the time, I choose to have a little sweetness added to my day. Because I know the damage that sugar does to the body, I try (there's that word again!) not to go overboard. But I also try not to go underboard. If you know what I mean.

So, I have been concocting a relatively healthy treat for myself which I can whip up one bowl at a time and enjoy whenever the mood hits me. It is not overly sweet, but contains a blend of flavors and textures which I find very satisfying and comforting. Maybe not quite as good as a slice of cheesecake, but we will hit Trader Joe's again soon and I will definitely be baking after that!

This is not exactly a recipe as the amounts can be easily altered or adapted to suit your taste.

Ingredients:

About 1/4 cup of rolled oats
Boiling water
Pinch of salt
Dash of heavy cream, 1/2&1/2, or whole milk
Sprinkle of mini chocolate chips
Spoonful of natural peanut butter (or chopped nuts of any kind)
Handful of fresh berries (strawberries are awesome in this!)

Begin by pouring enough boiling water to cover (and salt) over the oats in a microwaveable bowl. Microwave on high for 2 minutes. Use a bowl much larger than your portion. Watch to be sure your bowl does not overflow! (This method of cooking oats creates a slightly chewy texture which I love. If you prefer creamy oatmeal, cook on the stovetop following the directions on the oatmeal container.)

Remove your bowl from the microwave and pour cream over the oats. Dab on the peanut butter (or nuts) and sprinkle on the chocolate chips. Add your berries on top. The chocolate will become melty and coat the berries lightly as you spoon them up.

This could be an extremely decadent breakfast, an after school treat, or an evening snack. Serves one desperate housewife in search of dessert.

Comments