Now Eat This! Diet Cookbook

Currently on my bookshelf, there is a stack of cookbooks from the library (as usual) which I am gradually getting around to reading. You know my criteria by now: I love a cookbook with TONS of full color, full page photographs. One of every single recipe is best.  I just can't get excited about trying a new recipe without seeing a mouth-watering photo to tempt me. Rocco Dispirito's Now Eat This! Diet is a great example of a cookbook that makes you want to cook.



In particular, I was thrilled with the breakfast section. Keep in mind, I am usually pretty boring when it comes to breakfast. I don't like to take any time to cook in the morning, so my choices mostly revolve around a cup of coffee, Greek yogurt and a piece of fruit. Yup. Boring! But Rocco Dispirito has me psyched to try something new. Something different. Something delicious!

And did I mention all of these recipes are low in calories, refined sugar and fat? But they are high in fiber, flavor, and nutrition. What more could you possibly ask for?

Here are a few examples of recipes I have bookmarked to try:

Pizza Egg Bake: a healthy breakfast casserole with all the flavors of pizza!

Sweet Potato and Blue Corn Egg Casserole: slices of sweet potato and crushed baked corn chips!

And get this: Blueberry Graham Cheesecake Oatmeal! Here is the recipe:

2 1/2 cups skim milk (I will use a mixture of whole milk and water.)
Pinch of salt
2 cups quick oats (I will use old-fashioned rolled oats.)
1/2 teas. vanilla
1/2 cup agave nectar (I will use a couple packets of Truvia.)
1/2 teas. lemon zest (I plan to ask for a zester for my birthday.)
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1/4 cup reduced fat cream cheese
1/4 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
1 rectangle whole grain Graham crackers, crushed

Heat milk (and water, if using) and salt in a sauce pan over medium heat until boiling. Add oats and stir. Cook until oatmeal has thickened, about 5 minutes for rolled oats. Add the rest of the ingredients, except for yogurt and graham crackers. Stir over medium heat until warmed through. Remove pan from heat and serve in bowls, topped with Greek yogurt and graham cracker crumbs. Makes 4 servings.

NOTE: This recipe is fairly high in carbs (about 60 grams) and low in protein (about 13 grams). When I make it for myself, I will reduce the amount of oats per serving by at least half, and double the Greek yogurt for added protein. A sprinkle of nuts or seeds (walnuts, hemp seeds, etc.) would add some healthy fat.


Comments