Wasabi Coleslaw

Summer is salad season. And coleslaw is salad, in my book. When they serve it in those tiny little cups that dentists once used to make you rinse, I am always wishing for a more massive pile on my plate.

I realize not everyone loves coleslaw like I do. But I think the reason is simply because these poor folks have not yet tasted a truly delicious coleslaw. It is true that some restaurants really screw up on the coleslaw. They make it gloppy and overly sweet. I'm not saying I won't eat gloppy, overly sweet coleslaw because I certainly will. I just won't enjoy it quite as much as my own, homemade, quirky coleslaw variations.

Today's coleslaw has already been snarfed up by me and Mr. Balancing Act. Therefore you will not be treated to a photograph. Sorry!

Ingredients:

1 10 oz. bag shredded green cabbage (We buy ours at Trader Joe's.)
Several baby carrots, julienned
2 Persian cucumbers, thinly sliced
2-3 scallions, thinly sliced
1 HEAPING tablespoon mayo (I use Hellman's but by all means make your own!)
1 HEAPING tablespoon Greek yogurt
Juice of one lime
1 teaspoon prepared wasabi paste (We buy ours at Lotte.)
Salt and pepper to taste

In the bottom of a large bowl, mix the mayo, yogurt, lime juice, and wasabi. Blend well. Add all other ingredients and toss. Taste and adjust seasonings. Chill the coleslaw for several hours before serving. Makes about 4 decent servings or many more dentist cupfuls.

hocofood@@@

Comments