Japadogs!

I was introduced to Japadog years ago on No Reservations, Anthony Bourdain's travel show. Started as a hotdog stand in Vancouver, Canada, Japadog quickly expanded and has recently invaded NYC with their unique version of street food. This week, I am experimenting with this Japanese take on the all-American hot dog.

I know what you're thinking: hot dogs are NOT healthy! How could I encourage the consumption of such a disastrous piece of junkfood?

Well, get ready for me to ROCK YOUR WORLDVIEW!

You can now purchase all-natural hot dogs! We got ours at Trader Joe's. These are made from 100% beef with no fillers, no additives, and no preservatives. They contain no cancer-causing nitrites or nitrates. If you are going to get all picky, I guess you could not call this product a "whole" food. Yes, it has been processed. But as a once-in-a-while treat, an all-natural hot dog is the way to go.

For once, I remembered to snap some photos BEFORE I ate! I even had time to take a few as I assembled the meal.

Ingredients:

For Wasabi Mayo:
1 TB mayo
1/2 - 1 teaspoon wasabi paste (We purchased ours at Lotte in Ellicott City.)

Hot and Spicy Pickle Chips (We like Famous Dave's brand, but I also make my own.)

Whole Wheat Hot Dog Rolls (We like Trader Joe's brand.)

All-Natural Beef Hot Dogs

Roasted, Seasoned Nori (We buy ours at Costco.)

Begin by preparing your wasabi mayonnaise as your grill heats up. When hot, arrange your hot dogs over the coals. Turn your dogs frequently to avoid excess charring. (I know this from experience.) Heat through. Using kitchen shears, cut sheets of seasoned nori into strips.

To assemble hot dogs: Place each dog in a roll. Top with wasabi mayo, pickle chips, and nori strips. Serve with cole slaw or your favorite side dish. Enjoy!


hocofood@@@
#hocofood

Comments