Not Quite Nachos

My poor teenagers are truly suffering this summer. No, it is not the heat. No, it is not their jobs or the lack of a job. No, we haven't turned off the Internet or taken away their numerous screens through which they stay connected to the world. The horrible problem they are facing is this: we have nothing but INGREDIENTS in our kitchen.

Believe me, I have been hearing A LOT of whining about this issue. SO much complaining, in fact, that my husband might even purchase a take-out pizza for my youngest. Yes, he feels bad. I think he can relate. Personally, I cannot see the problem.

Our home is packed to the gills with food. I think we have every form of protein that exists in nature. Literally. We ate all the lamb chops, though, so that is currently the ONLY type of meat we do not have in stock. We have all sorts of veggies (fresh and frozen) and fruit of every ilk. We have almost every type of whole grain. We have loads of pasta. We have homemade pesto, salsa, jams, pickles, condiments of every kind. Whenever I get hungry, I can (magically) whip up a healthy meal in a matter of minutes. And yet, my children are suffering. Terribly.



In order to survive in this hostile environment, they have devised a strange concoction which is sort-of akin to nachos. It is the closest thing they can create from our stock of healthy foods to mimic take-out or fast food. I have made this "not quite nachos" dish for myself a few times, and I have to admit, it is quite tasty. Also very quick.

Ingredients:

2 handfuls of frozen sweet potato fries (We buy ours in bulk from Costco.)
2 Slices of deli meat, diced (roast beef, turkey breast, pastrami, etc.) (Or use Pulled Chuck or Pork.)
2 heaping tablespoons of shredded cheese (Mexican is our favorite blend.)
Sliced hot and spicy pickles (We like Famous Dave's brand from Costco.)
1 TB mayo
1 TB salsa
1 TB ketchup

Preheat oven to 425F (or follow directions on the package for the fries). Spread fries on baking sheet. Bake for about 20 minutes or until sizzling and beginning to crisp. Remove fries from oven and push them into a pile in center of baking sheet. Sprinkle shredded or chopped meat over fries. Top with shredded cheese. Return to oven for about 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Mix the 3 condiments together to create a dipping sauce. Serve with sauce and pickles on the side. Serves 2 starving, neglected teenagers.

Comments