Blueberry Coffee Cake (Not Quite Paleo)

Here I go again. I have definitely got things backwards these days. Instead of starting out with a conventional recipe, and then making it MORE Paleo, I have been discovering new and awesome Paleo recipes, and then making them more middle-of-the-road. (That is, inserting wheat flour where wheat flour had previously been removed!)

As I have stated before, my goals are 1) to make the healthiest food for me and my family while 2) actually getting my family to EAT the healthy food. I believe I have been hitting the sweet spot lately because it used to be just me eating the vast majority of the food I created. Now I have one daughter joining me. I call this progress. (You might call this sad. You might also call it baby steps if you were a bit kinder.)

This time I started out with a recipe from Paleo Cooking from Elana's Pantry by Elana Amsterdam. I have been waiting to try this particular recipe for WEEKS! I placed the cookbook on hold at my local library and then twiddled my thumbs and tapped my foot impatiently FOREVER. It finally arrived and I got straight to work.

If you are looking to transform typical conventional recipes into a Paleo-compliant format, this cookbook will show you the way. There is even a recipe in here for Paleo BAGELS! No lie. If you are allergic to wheat, these could be a lifesaver. They look amazing in the photographs. And if you want to try out some of Ms. Amsterdam's recipes without waiting in line for the cookbook, simply check out her blog at www.elanaspantry.com. (Look at this! I figured out how to do a link!) (You click on the button that says "Link." DUH!)

Anyway, here is the adulterated recipe which has been de-Paleoed by moi!

Ingredients:
Cake:
1 cup almond flour (I make my own by pulsing almonds in the food processor.)
1 cup whole wheat flour (I used organic King Arthur's brand from Harris Teeter.)
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 TB chia seeds (optional)
4 large eggs
1/2 cup (one stick) butter, unsalted (softened or melted)
1/2 cup brown sugar (you could substitute 1/4 cup honey)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
1 pint blueberries

Topping:
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup almonds or pecans
1/4 cup brown sugar (you could omit this)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon coconut oil or butter

Preheat oven to 350F. Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl. In a small bowl, combine butter and sugar. Add eggs and mix well. Add vanilla and sour cream. Then pour wet ingredients into the dry. Stir just until combined. Stir in blueberries. Pour batter into a well-greased 9 inch round cake pan. Toss all ingredients for topping into food processor. Pulse just to combine. Sprinkle topping over batter. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted NOT in a blueberry comes out clean. Let cool in pan before slicing. Makes 8-12 servings, depending on size of serving.



NOTE: If you want less sugar in your coffee cake, you could eliminate the topping completely or just remove the sugar from it. You could also substitute 1/4 cup coconut sugar or honey for the brown sugar in the batter.

Comments