Morning Glory Muffins

This recipe is one of my middle-of-the-road, try-to-please-everyone, compromise concoctions. I hope you don't think this is a bad thing! My goals in creating this half-way Paleo recipe were several fold: I wanted to use some of my freaking zucchini. I have squash coming out of my ears these days. And I wanted to make a healthy-enough (but not TOO healthy!) treat that my teenaged daughters MIGHT eat. If I'm lucky. If all the stars and planets align perfectly.

I started out with a completely Paleo recipe from Paleo Comfort Foods by Julie and Charles Mayfield. This is an awesome cookbook for those of you trying to eat clean, give up grains and other highly allergenic foods, and avoid sugars and overly processed junk. But the Paleo version used quite a large amount of almond flour. I decided to compromise by using about half almond flour and half white whole wheat flour. (In case you are confused by the term "white" whole wheat, this is actually a type of wheat. The whole wheat flour ground from "white" wheat is naturally lighter and somewhat golden in color.) I normally avoid wheat products, but I figured my daughters were more likely to eat muffins that tasted closer to regular, bakery-bought items. Hence, the compromise.

You may have enjoyed Morning Glory Muffins at your local bakery. Normally, they do not contain zucchini but you have already heard about my desperate situation regarding the level of squash in my home. They DO normally contain grated carrots, apple, raisins, coconut, and nuts. Quite a cornucopia of goodness! Mine have all of the above, plus a few special extras.



Ingredients:

1 cup almond flour (I make my own in the food processor rather than storing it.)
1&1/2 cups white whole wheat flour (We like Trader Joe's or King Arthur brand.)
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 TB chia seeds (These absorb excess moisture and add protein and fiber.)

Mix all of the above dry ingredients in a large bowl. Set aside.

3 large eggs, beaten
1/2 cup coconut oil (or grapeseed oil or olive oil) (Melted butter would also work!)
1/2 cup brown sugar

Mix the eggs, oil, and sugar until completely combined. Then pour wet ingredients into the dry. Stir gently.

1 cup grated zucchini
1 cup grated carrots
1 small whole apple, grated (no need to peel)
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cup sunflower seeds

Add the remaining ingredients to the batter and fold gently to incorporate. Don't overmix! Spoon batter into a 12-cup well-greased muffin tin. Bake for 30 minutes at 350F or until golden brown and firm to the touch. Makes 12 large muffins.



As you can see by my photo, my daughter grabbed one straight out of the oven! She said they are good! It's a miracle!

Comments