United Cakes of America

This is the title of a gorgeous cookbook I found at the library by Warren Brown. He is the owner of CakeLove, a bakery, and Love Cafe, both of which are located in Washington, DC. (With a branch in Silver Spring, MD as well.) He has also written another cookbook titled CakeLove: How to bake cakes from scratch. If you are a baking fanatic, you will want to check these out.



You already know that I try to avoid baking. And when I do succumb to my need for sweet treats, I always cut the sugar down to the lowest possible level that still tastes like dessert to me. If you eat no packaged or processed dessert products, your taste buds will soon learn to appreciate the natural sweetness of whole fruits and low-sugar treats. So if I were to attempt any of the recipes in this book, I would begin by tinkering with the ingredients.

But step one, in this case, is simply admiring the lovely photographs. I even wish there were more of them. I love a cookbook where every other page contains a full-color, glossy photo. This one has a decent amount, but doesn't quite meet my demanding standards. However, almost every single recipe in this volume sounds tempting to me.

These recipes run the gamut from simple and basic like Pound Cake (just plain!) and New York Style Cheesecake to Tomato Soup Cake and Jalapeno Cheddar Cheesecake. This last one has me particularly intrigued. If you have been reading my recent posts, you know I just finished off a delicious Maple Bacon Cheesecake. That will be one I make over and over again. But I am always looking for new twists on old favorites.

I highly recommend checking out this book. There is at least one recipe from each state of the nation, and several are surprises. For example, Lady Baltimore Cake is not listed under Maryland! Apparently this cake hails from South Carolina! Who knew? Discover more amazing facts and mouth-watering recipes (both classic and creative) in this beautiful volume. And keep your eyes peeled for my next crazy cheesecake recipe! (It might contain spicy peppers!!)

hocofood@@@
#hocofood

Comments