Whole 30 Rules

For those of you who are interested in joining me, I thought I'd share a few of the more unusual "rules" for doing the Whole 30. If you need to be reminded about exactly WHAT this program IS, please see my original blog titled "Planning to Do Whole 30."

1) No weighing or measuring for one full month (30 days). The main goal of the Whole 30 is not weight loss. This program was created to help people become healthier. The goal is to eliminate the foods which cause internal inflammation which can lead to disease. (The major culprits are sugar and artificial sweeteners, refined carbohydrates made from grains, trans-fats, and refined vegetable oils. Especially the combination of these ingredients, found in most junk foods.) So we will completely avoid the scale for the month of September. You will probably lose weight. But this will be a happy surprise on October 1st. Also you will not need to weigh or measure your food. Eat only as much as you need to feel satisfied.

2) You are not allowed to say this is HARD. Quitting heroine is HARD. Drinking your coffee black is not hard. (This is taken from the Whole 30 guidelines! I myself am not opposed to lots of whining. In fact, I practice whining on a daily basis. Hourly, some days. So you are allowed to whine to me. Just don't report me to the Board.)

3) NO slips. Once you commit to the 30 days, DON'T even THINK about slipping. There are no cheat days. Give yourself the gift of a full commitment.

4) Use the resources on the Whole 30 website. There are shopping lists to help you plan ahead. There are Facebook groups you can join. Write to me with your questions and I will try to answer them. You are NOT alone!

5) After 30 days of whole foods, you might feel like continuing on this Paleo program for the rest of your life. Great! Go for it! Or you might feel like setting up shop in your local McDonald's and eating your way through their entire menu. Not as great. Or you might feel somewhere in between. I suggest that you take the reintroduction of food groups slowly. This will allow you to determine if you have any food allergies or sensitivities. You might find, as I do, that eating wheat causes a "wheat belly": a bloated abdomen. Once you know it is wheat that causes the bloating, you will be able to choose whether or not to bloat. I've done quite a lot of bloating this summer.

These are just a few more "rules" that may or may not help you cruise through the month of September on your Whole 30 program. Of course, you can chuck any/all of these rules out the window and create your own. Considering how difficult it is just to change one's diet, I can't expect to change my whole personality as well. So I am planning to whine. Feel free to join me.

Comments