Cut the Crap

You are what you eat. And drink. And do. And think.

But mostly what you eat.

Eating a bunch of crap will make you feel like crap. This is just a fact.

Of course, you might not know that you feel like crap. If you have been eating crap your entire life, and you have never tried going without that crap, you probably think you feel normal. Because crappy IS your normal.

Are you tired all the time? Irritable? Depressed? Constantly hungry? Do you have thin, lifeless hair? Weak nails? Acne? Do you have diabetes? Pre-diabetes? Insulin resistance? Do you have cancer? Heart disease? Cutting the sugar and processed foods from your diet can help you avoid all of the above. Did you know that cancerous cells feed on sugar?

This month, I am cutting out all the crap. I am cutting out stuff that you might not even think is crap. I am cutting out the stuff of addictions: all the sugar and sweeteners, all the flours and grains, all the processed food, alcohol, and more. And I am already feeling the difference.

I was a little worried that I was going into this commitment with a negative attitude. I was worried that I would feel deprived. I thought I might obsess over all the crap I couldn't eat for a month. I do have an addiction to Food Network and Travel Channel television shows which feature stuff like Big Ass Sandwiches and Diners, Drive-in's, and Dives. You can see how this might cause conflict.

But as soon as I began, I felt better. Day One, I felt a surge of positive energy. And I realized something important: you are what you eat! You cannot expect to feel awesome if you are not eating awesome. Your body is a holy temple. Choose your offerings wisely.

Maybe you are already on board with me, following the guidelines for the Whole 30. Maybe you are on the fence, trying to decide if your diet is really a problem or not. All I can tell you is give it 30 days. One month. Give it a try and see how you feel. I'm guessing I know the answer.

Comments