Happy Equinox!

We are 21 days into the Whole 30. And we are celebrating the Autumnal Equinox, the perfect balance of day and night. And there is a full moon. How auspicious can you get?

After 3 weeks of whole foods, no sugar or sweeteners, no grains, no legumes, no processed junk food of any sort, how are we feeling? Well, I can only speak for myself. And I am feeling fine.

I haven't gotten on the scale so I'm not sure what the numbers say. But I feel like I have lost a few pounds. My belly is looking flatter. Not flat, yet. But I think it's going in the right direction. My skin has cleared up. My cravings have mostly subsided. Yes, I am still looking forward to cheating in October, but I am slightly less obsessed with listing all the things I plan to eat.

Today is Friday so I have been thinking about wine. Often, in the past, I would allow myself a glass of red wine on Friday evenings. Traditionally, on the Jewish shabbot, a glass of wine is part of the ceremony. For the month of September, I have substituted green tea for my relaxing evening beverage. And I am enjoying it. Not quite the same as a glass of wine, but it is still good.

Overall, I feel like I have been doing something very good for my body over the past 3 weeks. I don't feel (at this moment) like I have been deprived of all the "good" stuff. I feel like I have been partaking in all of the "good" stuff. The truly excellent stuff! The highest quality stuff. And I believe my body is responding.

So when October 1st rolls around, what is the plan? Well, I want to stick with what I am doing now. For the most part. I will have a few cheat meals here and there. I plan to take a friend out to lunch for her birthday. And Mr. Balancing Act and I will celebrate our 22nd wedding anniversary. So there will be some delicious treats. But my plan is to continue with my whole foods and no sugar regimen for most of my day-to-day life. If I have a glass of wine, it will be occasional. A sugary dessert will pass my lips maybe a couple of times per month. Unfortunately, I think if I indulge more frequently than this, all the work I've done this past month will be wasted.

So have a happy Equinox! And please let me know how YOUR whole 30 is going!

Comments