Turkey Chili with Squash (Paleo)

Yesterday, I made my second batch of this chili. I did adjust the recipe slightly based on the Whole 30 guidelines. The original batch contained frozen corn, but no beans. I also used 2 pounds of ground beef in the first version. This time I only had ground turkey.

I don't know if you feel this way, but I cannot stand cooking breakfast or lunch. I want to be able to grab something out of the fridge, maybe heat it up for a minute in the microwave, or just stick in straight in my mouth. I am happiest when my fridge is full of already-prepared dishes and I have a choice. So a big batch of chili is perfect. I can scoop it into a bowl, warm it up, and have lunch or dinner ready in less than five minutes.

Making the batch of chili in the first place takes a little longer. I had to cook down my home-grown tomatoes and then run them through the food mill to remove peels and seeds before proceeding. This is a bit time consuming. If you are just popping open a can of tomato puree, things will go a lot more quickly.

Ingredients:
2 TB olive oil (or coconut oil)
1.5 pounds ground turkey (or beef, chicken, lamb, venison, bison, etc.)
1 onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 red pepper, diced
2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
2-3 cups fresh tomato puree, or canned
2 large zucchini, shredded
2 large patty pan squash, diced
1 TB ground cumin
1-2 TB chili powder
1 teaspoon seasoned salt (low sodium)
1 TB BBQ seasoning (no sugar added)
Avocado, to top

Warm the olive oil in a large, heavy pot or dutch oven. Add onion and peppers. Stir over medium heat until softened. Add garlic and cook another minute. Add the turkey, breaking up the meat into small chunks. Cook until no longer pink. Add all the rest of the ingredients. Bring to a simmer and cook until the largest squash pieces are soft. Serve hot. Top with diced avocado. Makes at least 4-6 servings.

Comments