Why I Put the Scale Away

The scale has been a subject of much debate. Some live and die by the scale. And I used to be one of them. I would get on top of that ugly, cold hunk of metal every single morning. And my mood would be directly proportional to the number I would see: low number, good mood. Higher number, worser mood.

Then I began menopause.

Perhaps all women do not gain weight during menopause. But I think we should murder the ones that don't. This could be my errant hormones talking, though.

I have read quite a few accounts written by extremely healthy, fit, thin women who suddenly found that menopause turned their lives, and their previously slim bodies, upside down. I am currently discovering this to be true. Following the guidelines penned by Dr. Christiane Northrup, a holistic OB/GYN and brilliant author of many books about menopause and other women's issues, (I have written several blogs specifically about her recommendations on diet during menopause) my diet, for the most part, is utterly pristine. I eat virtually no sugar, no grains, no junk food, no alcohol. (I do insert the occasional cheat meal, but this occurs rarely--maybe once or twice per month.) I also exercise 5-6 days per week. I walk daily with my dog. I try to remember to take my myriad supplements. (I am less than perfect about this last one.) Anyway, my point is: I am truly doing my best here!!!

You might think after reading the above paragraph a) that you'd like to punch me, and b) that I should be a skinny little waif. Damn straight, I should! (And please don't punch me.) But I'm the heaviest weight I have ever been, except for my pregnancies. I like to tell myself it is because I'm putting on muscle. Yeah, right. How come this muscle is so jiggly???

So my answer has been to put away the scale. The truth is, I no longer even know what I weigh. It is a big mystery wrapped up in an enigma. (Not an enema. That is something different.) And that is the way it is going to stay. If I start to burst out of my clothing and need to buy a bigger wardrobe, I may need to rethink this strategy. But for now, I am still cramming myself into my same, slightly tighter clothing.

And the bottom line is: I feel good. I'm healthy. My skin looks good. My hair and nails are strong. I haven't been sick in so many years, I honestly can't remember the last time. Even my teeth feel good! If I really wanted to be skinnier, I think I could manage it, but I don't think I'd be happier. Or healthier.

So, what is your bottom line? Are you feeling great about your diet? Your health? Your attitude? Maybe the scale is a tool you still need to use in order to accomplish your goals. But maybe, just maybe, you could put it away for awhile and still be happy and healthy.

Comments