Biggest Loser Winner

I went to bed before the final announcement of The Biggest Loser's winner on Tuesday night. I took one look at Rachel and packed it in.

This morning I checked Facebook and saw that Rachel won. It was not a surprise. She apparently ended up at 105 pounds, a loss of approximately 155 pounds. More than half her body weight. She looked skeletal. Beyond thin. Scary skinny.

Now don't get me wrong. I was pulling for Rachel to win from very early on. I think all of America was pulling for her. She worked her butt off (quite literally) and seemed like the sweetest person to boot. And she was quickly becoming a stunning beauty.

Unfortunately, she went too far.

And I can understand why. $250,000 is a lot of reason to go too far.

However, I don't think this is the best example to set. I believe the final prize should be awarded to the contestant who loses the most body fat, on a percentage basis. Sure this is going to be more difficult to test. Instead of a scale, the finalists will need to be submerged in a tank of water. (More exciting, don't you think?) But it will encourage participants to work to keep their muscle, rather than losing it for the sake of a prize. Losing muscle mass should never be the goal. Especially for an athlete like Rachel.

If you are a fan of The Biggest Loser, I encourage you to write in to the producers. Make your views known. This is an awesome show, which (for the most part) encourages people to get up off the couch, get healthier, and change their lives for the better. I believe the show inspires millions of us to transform not just our outer appearances but our self-concepts. Our beliefs. People do NOT need drugs or surgery to lose weight. Simple lifestyle changes work!


Comments