Homemade Paleo Mayo!

I did it! I finally made the homemade Paleo mayonnaise recipe I posted on my Facebook wall.

I put it off for ages. I had all kinds of excuses. Like, it's going to make a mess all over the kitchen. (Like every time anybody cooks in here!) And I might not even like it. (Life doesn't come with any guarantees, though.) And what if it doesn't even work???

Then I watched a video posted by NomNomPaleo and created by SeriousEats. If you want to watch the video, follow this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbPF_rLpd9o

As you can see (if you just watched the video) the process of making Paleo Mayo is neither messy nor difficult. It is QUICK AND EASY! (I swear.) Especially if you own an immersion blender. It takes under two minutes from start to finish!

Why should you make your own mayo, you ask?

Well, as much as I love Hellmann's (and my love for this former staple in our household runs deep) typical store-bought mayonnaise is made almost exclusively from soybean or canola oil. I know you may have heard (on commercials featuring these oils!) that they are "heart-healthy" or some such nonsense. But I am trying to avoid almost all soy products now, and especially vegetable oils which contain an unhealthy overabundance of Omega-6 fatty acids. You may know that Omega-3's (from fatty fish, grassfed beef or butter, pastured eggs) are highly desirable. This is because our typical American diet is very low in Omega-3's but bursting at the seams with Omega-6's. This imbalance is responsible for excess inflammation in our cells. Inflammation that can lead to many types of disease, including heart disease, stroke, cancers, diabetes, and Altzheimer's.

So what type of oil should you use in your Paleo mayo? I would recommend avocado oil, which we purchased from Costco. I've read that olive oil is too strong, although a dash of it might be a nice flavoring agent in your mayo. Macadamia nut oil is recommended by NomNomPaleo, but I haven't yet tried this. Sounds delish, though! Fruit and nut oils are the healthiest choices.

Here is the simple recipe I used:
1 raw egg yolk
1 T. water
1 small dollop brown mustard (Dijon is preferable, but we were out.)
juice of half a lemon (I used a whole lemon as mine was small.)
1 cup avocado oil
salt and pepper to taste

Add all ingredients (except salt and pepper) to the immersion blender cup in the order given. Place the immersion blender blades in the bottom of cup and turn blender on. Hold the blender in place. The oil will slowly be absorbed into the mayo, as if you were drizzling it into a regular blender or food processor! Like magic! When the oil has been thoroughly blended, season with salt and pepper to taste.

The time has come. You must wait no longer! Make your own fresh, healthy Paleo mayonnaise today. I'm not going to listen to any more excuses. Let's get blending, people!


Comments