Kale Chips in the Dehydrator

Ever since my new dehydrator arrived in its gigantic box, I've kept it running practically nonstop. I've dried pears and apples, then sage from my garden, then more pears and apples, and now: kale chips.

I've been a fan of the kale chips from Trader Joe's ever since I did the Whole 30. The kale chips were one of the very few snack foods that were compliant. They are hearty, covered with a delicious mixture of carrot powder, cashews, and nutritional yeast. (Maybe this doesn't sound as good as it tastes...)

I've been growing my own kale in my garden every year for probably at least 20 years now. The bugs love it. Sometimes they share with me. I usually have to pull off a few wriggly green caterpillars, but it's worth it. I always grow Red Russian Kale (soft, tender leaves) and Black Tuscan kale (tall, dark, handsome leaves). Both are yummy and tolerate a bit of frost before keeling over in the late fall, early winter.

So I harvested a large bunch of kale to make these chips. If you don't grow your own, I'm sure you can find kale at your local Whole Foods, Wegman's, or other grocery. Wash your kale leaves before using. Pat dry or use your salad spinner. Then tear the leaves into medium-sized pieces, removing as much stem as possible.

Ingredients:

One large bunch kale, washed, dried and torn into pieces
4 TB avocado oil (or extra virgin olive oil)
1-2 TB tahini (or tahini sauce from Trader Joe's)
1-2 teas. tamari (or low sodium soy sauce)
1-2 teas. balsamic vinegar
sprinkle of granulated garlic
dash of salt and pepper (optional; soy sauce is already salty)

Blend liquids in large mixing bowl. Add seasonings and stir well. Toss in kale leaves and stir until all leaves are evenly coated with mixture. Arrange the leaves on the dehydrator trays without overlapping. (I filled all 8 trays.) Set temperature for 135F and dry for 3 hours. Test to make sure all moisture has evaporated. Store chips in sealed container.

#hocofood

Comments