Time to be Thankful

Does it ever feel like the universe is raining on your parade? Like you're being bombarded from every direction and you barely have time to catch your breath before the next wave of crap hits your fan? That's how this year has felt to me.

And yes, there have been some painful, heart-wrenching losses. You have most likely already read about our sweet akita Ginny's death. But most of the bombardment has been a series of minor irritations: my daughter had a fender-bender but no one was hurt; our truck wouldn't start, paid to have it towed to a repair shop where it started up immediately and the inspection revealed absolutely no problem; yesterday, on my way to teach my evening class, I-70 was shut down and then on my way home 97 was completely blocked by police and a tow truck so I spent an extra 15 minutes at a traffic light. Of course this is mostly small stuff that we are not supposed to sweat. But I've begun to feel myself flinching inwardly each time the phone rings: what next, Universe?

Then I remembered something important: to be grateful.

Gratitude is the antidote.

Instead of focusing on this handful of relatively small irritations, I need to back up and look at the big picture. Because the big picture is beautiful.

I have so many things to be grateful for.

My husband is an unwavering source of support and love. And he's not the only one; I have fantastic friends, too. My daughters are both good people: smart, talented, hard-working, and fun to be around. I don't have to worry about food on the table, a roof over our heads, clothing for any season, or even the occasional vacation. Although I lost one dog recently, I still have a gorgeous male akita who loves to give kisses and snuggle with me on the couch every night. There is no doubt about it: I am very blessed.

Best of all, spring is finally really and truly here. The trees are leafing out. The grass is turning a brilliant emerald color. Our daffodils are blooming and the peach tree is sporting a pale pink frosting of buds. In my garden, kale, collards, swiss chard, and peas have all sprouted. Today, a gentle rain is watering all my seedlings.

Life is good.

Comments