Easy Fruit Smoothie

Before I teach my evening classes, I no longer eat a meal. I prefer to have something very light that won't weigh me down during an hour of intense aerobic dancing. I've tried a cup of soup, or bone broth, or just an apple, but now that the weather has warmed up, I'm enjoying a cold smoothie.

As far as I'm concerned, the key to an awesome smoothie is a frozen banana. Of course other types of frozen fruit are also delicious, but a frozen banana adds a thickness due to the starch content that you will be missing with most other fruits. A blended frozen banana gives your smoothie body and silkiness, too. (Now I sound like a hair product commercial!)

I've written recipes before for smoothies that incorporate veggies like kale. Yes, these may be all the rage, but how delicious can a kale smoothie really be? I'll answer that question: not very. Sorry! I love kale sauteed in olive oil with garlic and pine nuts. Or even tossed in a salad. Or layered on a turkey sandwich. But in a smoothie? No. I don't love that.

But I do love this combination of fruit in a smoothie:

1/2 frozen banana (peel and freeze when ripe but not overripe)
1 whole (small) seedless orange (peeled, of course!)
a handful of ripe, red strawberries
1/2-3/4 cup of coconut milk (Trader Joe's sells this in a box as a beverage.)

Add all ingredients to your blender cup and process until smooth. Drink immediately!

If you have a favorite combination of fruits, or even veggies, that you enjoy blended into a drink, please share your discoveries in the comment section! Thanks!

#hocofood
hocofood@@@

Comments