Triple Almond and Sour Cherry Crisp

I realize I recently wrote a post about losing weight this summer. So it is very, very naughty of me to now post this very, very bad recipe which contains sugar! I am going to use PMS as an excuse.

Seriously, I am having a raging episode of PMS this week. Driving is difficult due to all the terribly inept drivers I have to constantly yell at. Not to mention the vigorous accompanying hand and arm gestures. Most of this yelling and gesturing occurred as I was on my way to teach yoga, no less. It is possible I have a serious problem. I really need to do a shitload of deep breathing.

If you're wondering whether this delicious fruity dessert might help my situation, the answer is a definite no. In fact, I had a serving of this crisp straight out of the oven, decorated with whipped cream, and just look at me now: puffy and bloated and practically homicidal. Sugar is not the answer, my friends.

Despite this, I'll probably chow down on another hunk while watching The Bachelorette. Now you have seen the ugliest I have to offer. If you're still reading this blog after today, I'll be counting myself pretty damn lucky.

In my opinion, cherries and almonds go together beautifully. In this lovely dessert, the sour cherries are brilliant red and the topping is a cross between an almond cookie and granola. It's a rustic-looking concoction, but that's my style. You are not going to catch me rolling out pie dough or using cookie cutters at any time of the year besides Christmas. The topping is sweet enough but not overly sweet. The cherries are pretty darn tart! I love this contrast and even added lemon juice to beef up the tartness. If you like your desserts sweeter, add more sugar to the cherries and omit the lemon juice.

Okay? Here's the recipe.

Ingredients:

1/2 stick unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup almond butter
1/2 cup brown sugar (or coconut sugar)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup whole almonds, chopped or not

Mix all the above in a large bowl until well combined. Set aside.

1 quart sour cherries, pitted
2 heaping tablespoons instant tapioca
1/4 cup sugar (more of less, to taste)
juice of 1/2 lemon (optional--use if you like things very TART)

Mix cherries with additional ingredients and let sit 15 minutes. While cherries are sitting, you can preheat oven to 350F.

Dump cherries into deep dish pie pan. Cover cherries with almond topping. Bake at 350F for about 45 minutes. Topping should be golden brown and filling should be bubbling. Remove from oven and let cool for at least 20 minutes so you don't burn your mouth! Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream or yogurt on top. Or plain. That's up to you.
As far as naughty treats go, this one isn't really all that decadent. You could even eat it for breakfast with a big scoop of Greek yogurt. In fact, I might have to try that tomorrow morning...

Comments