Blueberry Snack Cake (Paleo-friendly and Grain-free!)

When I posted my list of things to do on Twenty Chore Tuesday, this cake was high up on the list. After heading outside to pick blueberries fresh off the bushes, I began to weed the garden. Then it started to rain. So I came inside to bake!

I completely ripped off this recipe, first from the King Arthur Flour website and then from my own blog. I recently posted a recipe for Rhubarb Snack Cake and this is practically the same exact recipe. I made a couple of small changes, the first being the substitution of the blueberries for the rhubarb, of course. I also reduced the amount of coconut sugar from 2/3 to 1/2 cup. I figured the blueberries were sweeter than the rhubarb so the cake could be a little less sweet.

I have to admit, I am a sucker for a cake full of fruit. Give me an apple cake any day of the week. The rhubarb cake was quite good, very moist, with a nice contrast of tart fruit to sweet cake. But a delicious blueberry dessert really takes the cake, in my opinion! (Good one, right?) This one is very moist to begin with, and the berries add to the moisture level, so you'll want to store this cake in the fridge once it has cooled.



Ingredients:

About 1 pound fresh blueberries
Coconut oil baking spray

1/2 cup avocado or coconut oil (or grass-fed butter)
6 large eggs
1/2 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
2 Teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup coconut flour (Do NOT substitute a different type of flour!)
1 teaspoon baking powder

Preheat oven to 350F. Mix ingredients in a large bowl in order given. Spray 9x13 baking pan with coconut oil and pour in blueberries. Layer batter over the top of the berries. Bake for about 30-35 minutes or until golden brown on top. Let cake cool before cutting. Serve with vanilla ice cream or Greek yogurt or whipped cream for a decadent, yet still somewhat healthy, dessert.
Enjoy!

#hocofood

Comments