Raspberry Breakfast Cake (Paleo! Grain-free!)

I know what you're thinking: how could this woman be baking yet another cake when she keeps talking about weight loss? And you're right, sort of. A traditional cake would not fit into my plan of losing weight this summer. But the recipe I've been using is different.

The raspberry breakfast cake does not contain any wheat flour. This is the same recipe I've already shared with you twice! I used the same cake base for my rhubarb and also my blueberry snack cakes. I made just a couple of small changes this time to enhance the raspberry flavor. I have reduced the amount of sugar in the original recipe from 3/4 cup to 1/2 cup. I think the cake is sweet enough, but I no longer enjoy the over-the-top kind of sweetness most of us expect in a dessert.

And I started with freshly picked raspberries from Larriland Farm. Picking was scattered by the time we got there on Friday afternoon. But we (three of us) still managed to pick more than five pounds total in about an hour. My friend Michelle plans to make raspberry jam with hers.

This is my breakfast: organic, whole milk yogurt on the bottom, topped with chunks of raspberry cake, plus fresh raspberries and blueberries.

Ingredients for the Cake:

6 large eggs, beaten
1/2 cup avocado oil (or coconut oil)
1/2 cup coconut sugar (you could use brown sugar)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 cup coconut flour (do NOT substitute another type of flour)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups fresh red raspberries

Begin by preheating oven to 350F. Spray a 9x13 pan with coconut oil. Cover bottom of pan with thin layer of raspberries. In a large bowl, mix liquid ingredients. Add dry ingredients and beat well. Pour batter over the berries in pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until top is golden brown. Let cake cool before slicing into chunks. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream or yogurt. Great for dessert, snacks, or breakfast! Enjoy!

#hocofood

Comments