Sticky Ginger Muffins with Oats and Applesauce

I really didn't know what to name these muffins.

I wanted to create a delicious treat using stuff I had on hand. I began by making an apple/pear sauce with apple cider and lemon juice. Our apple and pear trees went wild this year and my kitchen counters and windowsills are covered with fruit. I've dehydrated loads of apples already (a two-person job) and my husband-helper up and quit on me. So I've moved on to applesauce. Once you add in some ripe pears, this takes a simple sauce to a much higher level. Sublime!



The next step was to use this sauce in a muffin. Ginger goes well with pears, so I added some crystallized ginger as well as the ground spice. Instead of using only wheat flour, I blended ground walnuts, oats, and whole wheat flour. Along with the liquid sweeteners and the apple/pear sauce, this created a very moist muffin with a crunchy top. Somewhat similar in flavor and texture to gingerbread, but more earthy! These muffins are sweeter than the ones I've made in the past--you might choose to reduce the sugar to only 1/4 cup or even leave it out if you prefer a less sweet product.

Ingredients:
1 c. walnuts
1 c. rolled oats
1 c. whole wheat flour
1/4 c. crystallized ginger

Add above ingredients to food processor bowl, one at a time. Pulse after each addition, until everything is ground finely.

3 large eggs, beaten
1/2 c. coconut oil, melted
1/4 c. molasses
1/4 c. honey
1/2 c. sugar (or less!)

Mix above ingredients in a large bowl until combined. Set aside.

1 T. cinnamon
1 T. ground ginger
1/2 t. nutmeg
1 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt

Add above ingredients to the mixture in the food processor and pulse just to combine.

1/2 c. sour cream
1 c. apple/pear sauce (or plain apple sauce or apple butter)

Preheat oven to 350F. Spray or grease muffin tins well. Add dry ingredients into large bowl with liquids. Fold gently, adding last two ingredients. Stir until just combined. Spoon mixture into muffin tins. Bake for about 35 minutes or until firm on top. Let cool for 5-10 minutes before removing. Makes at least 12 muffins. Enjoy!

Comments