Yet Another Chocolate Zucchini Muffin

If you aren't already sick of zucchini, and everything containing zucchini, then your zucchini plants must have already succumbed to insect damage or disease. I still have one tenacious plant left, on its last legs, still producing a few small courgettes. (That's French for baby zucchini!)

So what am I to do?

Bake more muffins, of course!



The last batch I made (I posted the recipe on this blog) came out fine, but with a mild chocolate flavor and a very light, airy texture. This time, I'm hoping for a denser, moister, fudgier texture and more intense chocolate flavor. (Costco used to carry frozen chocolate zucchini muffins which were grain-free, but I can no longer find them. I loved those things! And I'm trying to replicate them here...) I added both chocolate chips and cacao nibs, in addition to cocoa powder, to this batter. Instead of just wheat flour, I added almond flour. I also added shredded coconut and coconut oil. For sweeteners, I used some honey, a little molasses, and a small amount of white sugar. Walnuts went on top instead of pecans. Just switching it up!



Ingredients:
2 small zucchini, shredded (about 2 cups)
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup sugar (any kind)
2 T. molasses
3 large eggs, beaten
1/2 c. coconut oil, melted
1/2 c. cocoa powder
1 c. almond flour (You can buy this at Trader Joe's or grind your own!)
1 c. white whole wheat flour
2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1 T. chia seeds
1 T. cacao nibs
1/2 c. shredded coconut
1/2 c. chocolate chips
walnut halves to decorate tops (optional)

Preheat oven to 350F and grease 12 regular muffin cups. In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, sugars, and oil. Beat well. Add dry ingredients and stir gently. Add zucchini and the rest of the ingredients, except walnuts. Spoon batter into muffin cups. Top with walnuts. Bake about 30-35 minutes of until muffins bounce back when pressed. Let cool before serving.

#hocofood

Comments