FREE Bootcamp in the Park

Yes, you read that right! I'm offering a special on Black Friday: FREE bootcamp for anyone who has ever taken a class with me. And all their friends and family, too. Since I've been teaching in Maryland and the surrounding area for approximately 30 years, this amounts to quite a few students! (And if you have never taken a class with me, but would like to try a FREE bootcamp workout next Friday, just leave me a message in the comment section and I'll get the requisite paperwork to you!)

(Bootcampers chowing down at the annual potluck picnic!)


Here are some FAQs:

What do I need? 

First of all, we will meet outdoors, so you need to come dressed for the weather. This means layers. I recommend high-tech fabrics that wick moisture away from your skin. Cotton is a lovely material, but not for working out. Cotton absorbs and holds moisture against your skin which can cause chaffing and discomfort. Layering offers you the option of stripping down when you get warm and then covering up again if you start to get chilled. Don't forget a hat to hold in your body heat. And gloves are vital for cold weather workouts at the park. On your feet, running shoes or cross trainers are preferable.

Please bring a set of dumbbells. If you have more than one set, bring a selection! I will bring some heavy weights which we can share, including a couple of kettlebells. You can always choose which amount of weight to use; nothing will be forced upon you!

Also bring a thick mat or towel to use for ab work. And WATER! Even though it's winter, we still need to stay hydrated before, during, and after working out.

If this is your first workout with me in a long time (or ever!) you will need to bring a PAR-Q form which details your medical history and any special needs. If your medical history, address, or emergency info has changed, please let me know so I can send you a new form.

What will we be doing?

We will start off with a thorough warm-up that covers all the joints of the body. We will gradually build up to a sweat then add dynamic (moving) stretches. Every bootcamp class is different; each one explores an area of the park including hills (sprints, lunges, bear crawls) and various structures like benches, bleachers, monkey bars, stairs (pull-ups, push-ups, box jumps) and every class employs basic movements like squats, lunges, jumps, step-ups, jumping jacks, and burpees. Anything you cannot do can be modified so that you CAN do it!

How long does each class run?

Each class lasts about an hour, but we perform a wide range of different exercises, in different locations, over the course of that hour, so time always flies by. We take enough time for a thorough warm-up as well as a cool down stretching routine and ab work. The most intense parts of the class are short and sweet, but definitely effective.

I am overweight and out of shape. Can I do this workout?

Yes! You might need to modify some of the exercises, or perform fewer repetitions, or take frequent breaks during the workout. But everyone has to start somewhere. If you can participate without beating yourself up, you will improve your fitness level every time you show up. You will be amazed at what you can accomplish.

How is this bootcamp different from all the others I could try?

This bootcamp is unique because of my eclectic movement background. As I mentioned, I've been teaching various movement and fitness classes for over 30 years. I have BA and MA degrees in Dance and Dance Education with an emphasis on Anatomy and Kinesiology. I've studied many forms of dance, Pilates, yoga, contact improvisation, Thai yoga massage, and YogaRhythmics. I understand proper placement, posture, and usage of the body and can point out problems and solutions. I bring a unique set of skills to the bootcamp arena.

If you have questions I haven't addressed, or if you'd like more information about this local Howard County bootcamp, please leave a comment below. Hope to sweat with you in the park on Black Friday!

Comments