I'm SO Tired...Or Am I?

Have you ever stopped to notice the things you say to yourself, over and over, like a broken record? Lately I've been telling myself how tired I am. "I'm so exhausted." "I need a nap." "My body is falling apart." "I need to retire."

Back in September, I changed my teaching schedule. Instead of M/W/F mornings, I began teaching M/TUES/F. (I also have a Thursday evening class.) You might not think this small shift would make a big difference, but I've had trouble adjusting. Those two Tuesday morning classes have been taking it out of me! (See...this is another example of my self-talk.)

I've never been a night owl. I'm not one of those party people who can burn the candle at both ends. I can barely even LIGHT the freaking candle in the first place. Give me a glass of wine, I'll take a few sips and my eyelids will get heavy. This is nothing new. But for the past few months, I feel like I've been dragging myself through life, plodding along like an old mule instead of prancing and skipping.

Now that spring is here, it's time to make a new start. Instead of telling myself how tired I am all the time, I'm instituting a new mantra: "I have LOTS of energy!" I plan to put my new-found energy and enthusiasm for life to use. I'll continue with my twice-daily dog walks, my teaching, my blogging, cooking and cleaning, but I'll also get outside daily. I'll plant seeds and water them. (Literally and metaphorically!)



I believe the things we tell ourselves create a self-fulfilling prophecy. If I keep saying (out loud and inside my own head) how exhausted I am and how old I feel, I'm going to keep on feeling old and exhausted. And no amount of naps will fix the problem. Sure, my knees are creakier than they were ten years ago. Yes, I'm frequently sore. But my body is basically strong, my joints still function, and as long as I keep moving, everything is going to be okay.

I hope you will join me in celebrating LIFE this spring. Let's drop the negative self-talk that only makes us feel worse. Find a new mantra. Make it life-affirming. We can say it together.

Comments