10 Supplements to Consider

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. I am not using this blog to diagnose any illness or cure any disease. I am choosing to share with you some of the supplements I take and why I take them. You can consult with your doctor, hairdresser, or local seer to decide whether or not these substances are right for you. This blog is written for entertainment purposes only and should not serve as a substitute for any type of physical or psychological examination. May cause drowsiness, fatigue, eye strain, lethargy, bellyache, sinusitis, grumpiness, mood swings, and/or constipation.

Just kidding. Mostly.

Keep in mind that ALL supplements (whether vitamins, minerals or herbs) can interact with prescription medications in ways that may increase or decrease their effects. ALWAYS consult with your doctor before adding any new supplements. Also, most supplements are absorbed better when taken with food and not on an empty stomach.

Seriously, our kitchen counter looks like a pharmacy gone wild. I don't take any prescription drugs, but I have a boatload of vitamin, mineral, and other supplements which I try to remember to swallow on a daily basis. Of course, I forget at least as often as I remember. I figure if I take my supplements at least HALF the time, this is better than NONE of the time.

1) Focus Factor. This is a multi-vitamin and multi-mineral supplement containing fish oils, ginkgo biloba, and other herbs which are good for your brain, specifically for your memory. I haven't completely lost my mind yet, so maybe it's working! (Or maybe I need to take it more often???)




2) Qunol CoenzymeQ10. CoQ10 is produced by our bodies and is found in the mitochondria of every single cell. Our natural levels begin to decrease after age 40. It is available from food sources, but mostly found in organ meats, salmon, mackerel, and sardines. This supplement can increase energy levels and has been recommended by cardiologists for patients with heart disease.




3) L-Carnitine. This antioxidant goes hand in hand with the above supplement, CoQ10. May help patients with heart disease, and has been shown to assist in fat loss, muscle growth, bone growth, increased energy levels, lower blood sugar levels, and protecting the kidneys.




4) Krill Oil. This natural oil is packed with Omega 3 fatty acids and has been shown to help with brain function, heart health, joint mobility, radiant skin, fat loss, healthy cholesterol, and PMS symptoms such as mood swings and water retention. I know I need help in ALL of these areas!




5) Salt sticks. I use this supplement whenever I know I'm going to be sweating! You can substitute this little capsule for drinking a bottle of sports drink and thus avoid a load of sugar and chemicals. Contains all the minerals you need to replace when you sweat, plus a small amount of Vitamin D.




6) Magnesium Citrate. This form of magnesium is absorbed more effectively than others, so if you're already taking magnesium, please check your labels. The above supplement (Salt Sticks) contains a small amount of this mineral, but if you find you need more, you may wish to add a magnesium supplement to your list. Muscles need magnesium in order to relax, so this can help with reducing muscle cramps and chronic tension. Also helps calm the body and may help with sleep issues.




7) Lavender essential oil. This is not technically a supplement, but I've been using lavender oil (just a drop on my wrists at bedtime) to help me sleep better. I can't guarantee your results, but I believe it works. It also smells great!




8) Trader Joe's Very Green. I add a tablespoon to my shakes to boost the nutritional value. Contains spirulina, blue green algae, and a wide variety of powdered green veggies and fruits. The taste is mild and not at all offensive.



9)  Trans-resveratrol. This is another powder supplement that I add to my shakes and smoothies. You may know this antioxidant is in red wine, but you'd have to drink something like 200 bottles a day to get enough to have a significant effect. Instead of becoming a wino, I just add a TINY scoop (500 mg.) to a shake. Intense purple color, but mild flavor.




10) Melatonin Ultra. This supplement may help you fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer. I don't take this every night, but only if I'm feeling like I won't be able to get to sleep. Contains theanine (which comes from green tea) as well as chamomile and valerian. I find it works well and I don't have a drugged feeling in the morning.





Comments