Get Excited!

What is age? Is it just a number? I've been trying to pin down the qualities and personality traits of people who seem to age happily, with energy and enthusiasm for life.

I've written about feeling tired all the time. I believe this is more a factor of my mental state than my physical state. I think in some ways I've allowed myself to get tired of my life. Maybe I haven't injected enough newness. I've let my life get stale.

Now, let's not get carried away here. I don't need a pity party. My life is freaking fantastic by almost anyone's standards. I have absolutely nothing to complain about. I'm practically the luckiest person on earth. So why am I whining?



I think even the most satisfied customer sometimes needs to shake things up. No matter how much you love that Whopper with fries, maybe on occasion you need to order the Filet-O-Fish. (Mixed fast food metaphor, I know!) And when was the last time you had a shake? (See what I did there?)

When I was young, I used to be excited about so many things. I wanted to grow every herb known to man. I tried making soap in my back yard (the fumes are HIGHLY toxic!) and grinding up egg shells to make my own body powder (very gritty!) and cooking squid from scratch (cutting them up with a pair of kitchen shears almost made me faint!)

These days, I'm always telling myself no. No, I can't try that new restaurant because it looks too expensive and I'll only be disappointed and probably end up with food poisoning. No, I shouldn't attend any more teacher trainings because I never used the Thai Yoga Massage training I did and I've never even watched the DVD that came with the training manual. No, I'm not going to roast a whole chicken because no one else is eating dinner at home tonight and I can just nibble on some dry Saltines and drink some tap water.

Enough! I've had enough of NO. I'm going to start telling myself YES when I want to try something new. I'm going to have dinner at that new restaurant I've been wanting to try. (I'll go when they have half-priced burgers and beer, just in case the menu is overpriced.) And you know what else? I've got that whole chicken in the oven right now, roasting away, with a whole bunch of sweet potatoes, and I'm going to have a delicious dinner all alone.

It may be a bit more difficult to get super excited these days, but that just means I need to make more of an effort. I'm going to search out some new experiences and I'll keep you posted about my level of excitement as I explore this awesome universe full of surprises. Feel free to leave your suggestions below!

Comments