Burgers at Beck's

After volunteering at the Elk Run Winery on Saturday afternoon, my hubby and I were hungry. We were too late to sample any of the food at the festival, so we racked our brains for a place to grab a burger on our way home. I remembered Beck's Pub on Main Street in Sykesville.

Although Sykesville is very close to our home, we almost always head in a different direction when in search of a meal out. We've eaten at Baldwin's a couple of times, but the prices are high and we've ended up disappointed. Beck's has always looked busy when I've driven past, and I took this to be a good sign.



Although there were people waiting when we entered, we were seated almost immediately. I checked out the beverage specials on the chalk board and selected a pear and blackberry cider. After spending hours in the heat pouring wine, I was in the mood for something cold and refreshing. The cider definitely hit the spot--not too sweet, a little tart, very yummy.

We both ordered the exact same burger (my husband always copies me!) from a selection which included black angus, buffalo, and salmon. We chose the gourmet wagyu beef burger with smoked gouda cheese and applewood bacon on a brioche bun. This wasn't the most expensive burger, priced at $13.99, and it came with lettuce, tomato, and fries.

The patty was cooked perfectly--we ordered medium and the beef was still pink on the inside. The lettuce and tomato were minimal additions; nothing to write home about. The bun was absolutely fine, perhaps better than average, but not stellar. I expected the wagyu beef to have a richer, stronger flavor but I'm afraid it just tasted like your basic hamburger. The fries were fat, which is how I like them, and coated with both salt and pepper.

Beck's was completely packed when we left, with plenty of people waiting for tables. We found the service to be fast and friendly enough, very efficient. We weren't offered dessert, but we didn't want any so that was fine.

If you're looking for a family-friendly spot--very noisy and full of television screens--Beck's could be your new favorite. I'd give the burger and fries a B rating, not bad at all, but not a contender for the BEST BURGER award. Don't worry--I'll keep searching for that elusive burger that knocks my socks all the way off.

#hocofood
hocofood@@@

Comments