Day 15: Off the Rails Banana Bread

I tried to make this 30-day Transitional Cleansing as easy as possible, but I guess it wasn't easy enough. I tried to be strong. But the devilish sugar demons called to me. They didn't whisper. No, they screamed like banshees, pounding on my brain with both fists. (Do banshees have fists? What IS a banshee???)



To make a long story slightly shorter, I gave in. Instead of fighting the good fight, I threw in the towel. I could blame my hormones. I could go full T.M.I. right now and describe the situation with my uterus. And other related, nearby organs. But these factors are really no excuse. Bottom line: I caved.

I've never had a problem with alcohol. I could never drink again for the rest of my life and I'd barely even notice. But SUGAR! My addiction remains strong.

Yesterday, the bunch of bananas on my kitchen table begged me to turn their ripening bodies into banana bread. Excellent idea, I thought. I have a recipe on this blog for Grain-free Banana Bread. No flour, no sugar, totally compatible with my Transitional Cleansing. I pulled out the ingredients and started to mix them together.

How did that jar of honey get on the counter? I must have pulled it out by accident. Only about a cup of honey left. Might as well use it up. (Yup, a whole CUP of honey went in!)

And on top of that, I didn't have enough almond flour, so I added some white whole wheat flour as well. Now my banana bread is no longer Paleo. In fact, it has turned into a very sweet treat. A heart-stoppingly delicious dessert. Swoon-worthy.

If you're trying to avoid flour and sugar (and let's be honest: honey is just another form of refined sugar. Refined by bees, but not much different from white sugar) this recipe is NOT for you! This banana bread is super yummy, but this is not diet food. I apologize for my weakness.

Ingredients:
3 ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 cup melted coconut oil (or butter)
3 large eggs, beaten
1 cup honey (or less!)
1/2 teas. baking powder
1/2 teas. baking soda
1/2 teas. salt
1 cup almond flour
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1 cup walnut pieces
1/2 cup shredded coconut

Preheat oven to 375F. Spray loaf pan with coconut oil. Mix ingredients in order given. Once dry ingredients are incorporated, stir gently then pour into prepared loaf pan. Bake at 375 for about 45 minutes. Test for doneness with toothpick. If not cooked fully, turn off oven but leave bread inside. Check every 5-10 minutes and retest. When toothpick comes out clean, remove loaf and cool. Enjoy!

Comments