Evening Snack Zone Revisited

As you may have already picked up, I'm cleansing for fall. Most people think of spring as the time for cleaning out and cleaning up, but any seasonal transition is a good time to take stock of habits and make changes.

I have made zero changes to my three main meals.

For breakfast, I have a turkey muffin every day. I make these myself from ground turkey, a variety of finely chopped veggies (pulsed in the food processor) like carrots, beets, kale, parsley, zucchini, or whatever I find in the fridge, fruit (usually apples, raisins, cranberries, blueberries), nuts and seeds, eggs, cottage cheese, and sprouted wheat breadcrumbs. I always add turmeric as well as ginger, nutmeg, and sometimes cinnamon. Salt and pepper. This breakfast is high in protein, contains all the major food groups, and is so easy to prepare. I bake a dozen muffins every 12 days (I did that math in my head!) and warm one up each morning for one minute in the microwave. Couldn't be quicker! (For complete recipes, use the search feature on this blog!)



For lunch, I have a grilled turkey and cheese sandwich with spinach. I add different condiments to spice things up. My latest blend is a green tahini dip (purchased at Trader Joe's) and guacamole (purchased in single-serve containers at Costco.) This lunch gives me another 20-30 grams of protein, plus plenty of healthy fats from grassfed butter and avocado. Very filling.



For dinner, I often have a salad with arugula, goat cheese, pecans, pickled beets and a salmon burger. I make the dressing from flax seed oil, whole grain mustard, local honey, and rice wine vinegar. We purchase our salmon burgers at Costco. They are made by Trident from wild caught salmon. This meal also contains 20-30 grams of protein, plenty of healthy fat, and is so delicious.



Now. All my meals are fine, but the problem occurs in the evening, when I sit down on the couch to relax and watch TV. This is the danger zone. I have my snacks stored right next to the couch for easy access. And the habit of snacking in the evening is deeply entrenched. This is also the time when I might have a glass of wine, if I feel so inclined. What to do???

Suggestion 1:  Make a large mug of delicious, caffeine-free tea. Or decaf coffee. I prefer tea in the evenings. I like Trader Joe's Decaf Green Tea-- it has a subtle grassy flavor. I've also recently discovered Trader Joe's Ginger and Turmeric Tea. It has natural sweetness and couldn't be healthier. You could also make Golden Milk, with turmeric and any kind of milk: cow, soy, rice, coconut. Or a decaf chai. I find warm beverages very comforting and relaxing, as well as filling. Just avoid anything that needs sugar added to it.

Suggestion 2: Munch on healthy, whole foods. Pistachios are a great choice because you have to shell each one. This slows down the snacking. They are also loaded with fiber, protein, and good fats. They are more filling than chips or cookies. Other possibilities: kale chips, plantain chips, coconut chips, nuts or seeds, apple chips, fruit and cottage cheese, string cheese, jerky, or leftovers.

Suggestion 3: Do something else with your hands. Idle hands are the devil's workshop. Or something along those lines. Grab some knitting needles and make a hat. Embroider a bedspread. Patch your old jeans or darn your socks. I recently repaired a leather leash for our dog using dental floss. Fold laundry. Any mundane task will do as long as it keeps your hands busy and out of the cookie jar.

Suggestion 4: Turn off the TV and go to bed. I'm guessing (hoping!) you don't eat in bed, so this is a much safer place to spend time. Read a book, meditate, practice yoga, have sex, or just go to sleep early. All of these activities are low calorie and stress-reducing. You will feel better the next day, too!

If you're joining me on this Fall Transitional Cleansing, let me know how it's going for you! I'm here to help. If you need one-on-one support, leave me a message below. I'm available for weight-loss and whole foods coaching as well as private instruction in yoga, Pilates, meditation, fitness, and wellness.

Comments