Chicken Salad with a Twist

When my hubby and I visited Berkeley Springs for our anniversary, we tried a number of restaurants. Our favorite, by far, was Leonard's Fairfax House. The food is an interesting combination of Thai and American. The prices are mostly reasonable, and our meal was spectacularly fresh and delicious.

I tried to replicate the unique chicken salad I had for lunch there. The binding agent was cream cheese instead of mayo. Bits of dried cranberries, apples, and something salty studded the salad. Of course, I had to make my own additions.



Ingredients:

1 cup shredded chicken breast meat
6 oz. softened cream cheese (low fat is fine)
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1/2 cup pineapple tidbits
1 apple, chopped
1/4 cup sweet pickles, diced
1 TB sweet pickle liquid (from bread and butter pickles)
4 green onions, sliced
2 strips of cooked bacon, crispy, chopped
1/2 cup shredded coconut
salt and pepper, to taste

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. If mixture is too stiff, add another drop of liquid from pickle jar. Serve over a bed of spring mix, baby spinach, or arugula. Makes at least 2 heaping servings.


Comments