Fasting is EASY

I started fasting for 16 hours per day on Thanksgiving, a little more than a week ago. (I now eat from 12 noon to 8pm daily.) Although I've been a religious breakfast eater my entire life, skipping my morning meal has not been an issue. Because fasting is nothing more than waiting. You're hungry? Just wait a bit and you can eat. You're craving a hunk of dark chocolate? Okay, just hang on and you can have it. Today. Soon. There is no denial. Just a brief waiting period.

(This is a photo of an Almond Joy Cheesecake I made ages ago. You can search this blog if you are now craving this exact recipe!)

When you look at it like this, you realize this diet is SO EASY. There is nothing to it. You can eat the foods you already enjoy. There is no need to clean out your pantry. You don't have to throw away your favorite treats. The only thing you need to do is wait.

I have lost weight on just about every diet known to Western civilization. Back in the 80's, I went low fat for years. I banished butter and sour cream, drank only skim milk, ate low fat cookies made of corn syrup and saw dust. (At least that's what they tasted like.) When Atkins became all the rage, I jumped right on that bandwagon. My snacks became sausages and hard-boiled eggs. I bought sugar-free chocolate bars by the case. I lost a little weight at first, but then held steady for the next 2 years. If you've read my blog from the beginning, you know I worshipped at the altar of the Zone Diet for quite some time. I can still eyeball any piece of protein and tell you exactly how many ounces it weighs.

So what is wrong with all these diets? Well, low fat has been shown to be a crock of crap, but Atkins and the Zone are both perfectly acceptable ways to lose weight. South Beach, the Mediterranean Diet, and Weight Watchers all work as well. Counting calories and counting carbs both work. Going ketogenic or Paleo or sugar-free might be the best thing for you. But all these diets are more complicated, involve counting and measuring, mean giving up something, and usually include hunger. I believe it is impossible to lose weight without ever feeling hungry.

If you are going to feel hungry anyway, you might as well fast!

Intermittent fasting just means waiting. When your feeding window opens, eat what you like. For lunch, I've been having the same kind of sandwich I enjoyed before beginning my fasting regimen. I find that I'm not hungry again for about 5 hours after one sandwich! (It is normal sized, not gigantic!) Dinner has been soup or chili or roast chicken--again, the same type of meal I usually eat. Before my feeding window closes at 8pm, I have one last (smallish) "meal" which consists of some kind of treat. I might choose to have a glass of wine as well. Once 8pm rolls around, the window closes and I'm done eating for the day. Most of my fast takes place during the night while I'm sleeping. What could be easier?

So far, I have lost a little over an inch around my waist. This is the most crucial area for weight loss as belly fat is less stable and more likely to cause serious problems, like heart disease. And who wants a fat belly? (I'm not getting on the scale. I didn't weigh in before I began fasting, so even if I eventually weigh myself, I'll have nothing to compare it to. I'm not sure I'm strong enough to face such a huge dose of reality yet.)

If you're thinking of joining me on the intermittent fasting plan, but still have reservations, leave me a comment below. I'm happy to lend my support!


Comments