Grain-free Banana Chocolate Chip Donuts or Muffins


I found this recipe on Facebook first. I clicked on the photograph because it looked so freaking delicious. Irresistible! When I read the list of ingredients, I said YES! Healthy AND yummy! I ran straight out to Trader Joe's to purchase some coconut flour and fresh bananas. I already had everything else on the list.

Here is the link to the original recipe (baked into donuts instead of muffins.) http://www.healthy-holistic-living.com/coconut-flour-chocolate-chip-donuts-glutendairy-free.html?t=JERF

You can bake this batter into either donuts (if you have a donut pan) or muffins. I changed the recipe slightly, as usual. I decided to delete the cinnamon as I wanted the nutmeg to shine through, and I find its flavor gets lost when combined with cinnamon. I used regular milk, but you could substitute coconut milk or any nut milk. I used honey for the sweetener, but you could substitute agave syrup if that's your preference. I also substituted vanilla for the almond extract which I find overpowers everything. I added some shredded coconut on top of my donuts, too.

Do NOT substitute wheat or nut flour for the coconut flour. The ratio of wet to dry ingredients will be WAY off! Coconut flour needs LOTS of moisture (in the form of eggs!) to make it work properly.

Ingredients:
  • 6 eggs
  • 4 tbsp coconut oil , slightly melted
  • 4 tbsp milk
  • 6 tbsp honey (or maple syrup)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup coconut flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 3 ripe bananas, diced
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips (or chopped dark chocolate) 
  • shredded coconut, optional
Preheat oven to 350F. In a large mixing bowl, melt coconut oil. Add honey and stir to combine. Add eggs and mix well. Add the rest of the ingredients, in the order given, stirring after each addition. Do not add shredded coconut! Spray muffin tins (or donut pan) with coconut oil. Fill tins 3/4 full as this batter will not rise much. Top muffins or donuts with a sprinkling of shredded coconut. Bake at 350F for about 15-20 minutes or until golden brown on top. Test with toothpick for doneness. Let sit in pan until cooled. Remove and enjoy! Makes 9 donuts or muffins or a combination of the two.

Comments