Frozen French Fry Soup



Okay, this sounds strange. I realize that. But our freezer is stuffed to the gills with venison from the two hunters who make use of our land during deer season. I'm not complaining! Loads of free, local, grass-fed meat is nothing to sneer at. But those old French fries had to go.



Before I embarked on my soup experiment, I did a quick google search to check out potential recipes. Of course I found a few. (Think up the weirdest sounding recipe you can imagine and then google it. You'll discover someone has already posted it, along with photographs. True story.) I felt confident I could make a quick, easy, and delicious soup.

To make a long story short, this is exactly what I did!

Ingredients:

2-3 TB grass fed butter or tallow (beef fat)
1 large sweet onion, chopped
3 large garlic cloves, chopped
32 ounces frozen french fried potatoes
6-8 Kosher dill pickle spears (I used homemade, but store-bought will suffice)
4 cups beef bone broth (homemade is best, but use what you have)
1-2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 TB Worchestershire sauce
3 TB ketchup
1 large bunch of power greens or baby spinach (optional)

In a deep sauce pan or pressure cooker, melt butter or fat. Stir in onions and cook until translucent. Add garlic and fries. Cook for a minute then add remaining ingredients except for greens. Cover pot and bring to boil. Turn down heat and simmer about 20 minutes or until fries are soft. Use a handheld blender to process soup until smooth. Toss in the power greens immediately before serving. Stir until the greens wilt. Makes at least 4 large, hearty servings.


Comments