Grain-free Pistachio Mug Cake



I had to play with this recipe a bit. My first try came out dry and overly salty. Of course, I added a pinch of salt before I remembered the pistachios were already salted...

I am calling this a "mug" cake although I actually baked it in a small glass bowl because my go-to mug was still dirty from the last attempt. You can use any microwave-safe bowl, cup, or mug. It is also possible to bake a mug cake in the oven, but the microwave is so quick and easy, I've never gone that route.

This cake is not technically "Paleo" as I've used butter and sour cream. You could always substitute coconut oil and coconut milk or even coconut yogurt if you don't use any dairy. The sour cream was added to the second version in order to combat the dryness, and it worked very well. The recipe I'm sharing today is not overly sweet, and has a pleasant, soft texture, reminiscent of a pillowy pancake. I hope you like it!

Ingredients:

1 T. grassfed butter (or coconut oil) melted
1 T. honey
1 large egg, beaten
1 T. sour cream (or coconut yogurt)
1/4 cup pistachios, finely ground (I used a coffee grinder.)
1 T. coconut flour
1 T. potato starch
1/4 t. baking soda

7 blackberries (optional)
1 T. chocolate chunks (optional)

In a microwave-safe cup, mix melted butter, honey, and egg until thoroughly combined. Add dry ingredients one at a time and stir after each addition. Sprinkle blackberries and chocolate chunks on top, if using. Bake in microwave for about 90 seconds, or until no longer runny in center. Let sit for one or two minutes to cool before digging in. Makes one serving.

Comments