Is Coffee the BEST Way to Start your Day?



A steaming cup of java. Holding that warm mug right under your nose and breathing deeply. Inhaling the toasty aroma of those freshly ground beans. The rich, satisfying taste. What could be better?

This is the way I like to start my day. Nothing gets done before that coffee meets my lips. I only drink one cup each morning, but I make sure to savor it. Since I don't eat any breakfast, this one cup of joe needs to fuel me through all my morning activities: 45 minutes of walking with the dogs, one or two hours of exercise classes, sometimes bootcamp, maybe some gardening or house cleaning.

But is coffee really the BEST way to start your day? What about these newfangled energy drinks, shakes, powders, and what-not? Could there be something better out there?

In my humble opinion, the answer is NO.

Why not? I'll tell you!

1) Coffee is delicious. I realize not every single person on this planet will agree with me. If you are not a coffee lover, just stop reading right now and go back to your inferior beverages. But don't come whining to me when you are dissatisfied.

2) Coffee is chock-full of antioxidants. In fact, most people get more antioxidants in their daily coffee cup than in all their fruits and veggies combined! And antioxidants are on everyone's wish list. They reduce inflammation throughout your body. Yes, tea (black, white, and green) also contains antioxidants. If you must drink tea in the morning, go ahead. I'm not going to stop you.

3) Coffee reduces the chances of getting many diseases, including diabetes. According to studies done at Harvard Medical School, coffee drinkers are less likely to develop Type 2 diabetes. Researchers believe this is because coffee lowers blood sugar.

4) Coffee boosts your mood. Studies have shown coffee drinkers are half as likely to commit suicide. Women who drink coffee have lower rates of depression.

5) Coffee lowers your risk of developing heart disease and stroke. Studies show an even greater effect for women than men. Coffee may also lessen your likelihood of contracting Parkinson's disease, as well as helping with the tremors--men get the extra benefits on this one.

6) Studies have linked coffee consumption to reduced risks of liver, colon, and breast cancer.

7) Coffee boosts performance. Studies show caffeine helps the brain function better. Grab a cup before your next class or exam!

8) And not just brain performance. Caffeine boosts physical performance by releasing fatty acids into the blood stream while increasing metabolism rates.

9) This boost in metabolic rates can also help increase weight loss!

10) What more do you want???

Coffee is clearly the winner. Why waste your time drinking anything else?

Comments