BGR-The Burger Place



Yesterday, we celebrated my husband's birthday a little late. I was in Florida on the actual day, but I had purchased a Living Social coupon ahead of time, so we made a plan to visit BGR for a burger.

I know what you're thinking. Not only do I take my husband out for fast food for his birthday, but I am so cheap, I also use a groupon. Yes. You are correct. Lucky for me, my husband is not high fallutin'. He appreciates a burger and fries more than a fancy meal in an expensive restaurant.

We visited the BGR in Columbia, Maryland, located in the Columbia Crossing shopping center. It was completely empty for the duration of our meal, but I assume we were just there at an off time. In terms of ambiance, there is basically none. This is fast food, people. There is a television on the wall. The tables are made of plastic and were sticky with old ketchup. Cleaning does not seem to be a top priority.

The burgers were our main focus. We both opted for the special burger of the month: Bacon, brie, and apple for $9.99.  Not particularly cheap for fast food, right? But the burgers are cooked to order. Ours came out medium, as ordered, and the meat was very juicy. The toppings, however, were only so-so. I was unable to taste the brie at all. The apple slice was thick but lacking significant flavor. I believe there was only one slice of bacon. The bun was very soft, which some folks might appreciate, but quickly became wet and soggy with juices. There were a couple of small leaves of lettuce that seemed fairly fresh. Overall, I'd say the burger was under-seasoned and needed something to kick it up a notch. More brie and bacon would have helped.



My husband also ordered the fries with roasted garlic, rosemary, and parmesan cheese. This concoction looked very yummy, but tasted odd to me. I think the garlic had some type of preservative that gave it a weird, off-putting flavor. My husband didn't think so. The fries themselves were golden and extremely crispy.

Our entire meal consisted of 2 burgers, 1 order of fries, and one iced tea. The total cost (without groupon) would have been about $27. With the groupon, I saved $8.

I would give the burgers at BGR a rating of 3.5 out of 5 stars. The quality of the ingredients seems high, everything was very fresh, and the cooking was to order. The fries would get 2.5 stars. Ambiance: 0 stars. Will we return? Doubtful.

#hocofood
hocofood@@@

Comments