Burn Bodyfat This Fall



Since we are now officially experiencing fall, it is time to talk about fat. Why, you ask? Because winter is coming. And winter when we typically store fat. Not in our pantries, but in our fat cells.

Some weight gain over the course of the winter months might be inevitable. After all, we have the holidays to contend with. Weeks before Halloween, we are "forced" to stock up on sweet treats. Sure, we pretend those candies are for trick-or-treaters, but we know who REALLY eats them! And Thanksgiving wouldn't be much of a celebration without a pie or two. To get in the mood for Christmas and Hanukkah, it is important to purchase lots of candy canes, chocolate coins, and figgy pudding. By January, we are in deep doo-doo.

This year, I am fighting back early. And often.

Over the course of the past year, I've managed to lose about 10 pounds. Yup, at the rate of about a pound per month. I realize this may not sound impressive, but I feel pretty darn proud! In the years since turning 50, I've struggled to combat the fat. And until now, I was losing the battle while watching my weight creep up. My belly ballooned, and my boobs busted out of my bras. (My husband told me this was not a problem, but I begged to differ.)

If you are also struggling to fight the fat as middle age sets in, I have a few tricks and tips that might help you. Because we are all different and unique, my solutions might not be right for you. So pick and choose, select the options that sound good, and throw away the rest!

1) Fight the fat by upping the fat in your diet. This sounds wacky and counterproductive, but eating more fat can help you BURN more fat. Once you switch over to fat burning mode, you will burn BOTH your dietary fats AND your stored bodyfat. The trick here is to lower your sugar intake so your cells switch over to burning fat instead of sugar. Eating more fat also helps you feel full and satisfied for way longer. I am eating about 50% of my calories from fat these days. My husband is aiming for 70% as he is on a true ketogenic diet.

2) Exercise DAILY. You don't have to kill yourself, just get up and move. If you absolutely hate to exercise, find something--anything--that gets you up off the couch. Gardening, vacuuming, walking the dog, swimming, bike riding, contra dancing, t'ai chi, yoga, there are probably a million more ways to move your body and get fitter. Some strength training is also important as we age because muscle loss is a serious problem for many older people.

3) Get outdoors. Soak up some sunshine. Put your feet in the sand. Do some forest bathing. (This is a Japanese concept.) All of these will help lift your mood as well as improve your metabolism. The short, dark days of winter are coming so get your sunlight while you can!

4) Immerse your body in COLD water! I have a feeling this is where I might lose you. I know it might not be for everyone, but dunking your body, or possibly just your head, in cold water can have major health benefits. Swimming or soaking in cold water stimulates your metabolism, helps your body to create more brown fat which is more easily burned, and has been shown to lift your mood. A cold shower will work, too!

5) Add some spice to your diet. Fall flavors are typically those warm, sweet spices that we all love: cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, and allspice. Not only are these spices delicious, they are also healthy! Cinnamon can help lower blood sugar. Ginger is great for your digestion and helps relieve nausea. Substitute some spices for sugar when you make a cup of coffee, chai, or hot chocolate. Warm beverages are both soothing and filling, so indulge without guilt.

If you have your own ideas for fighting fat this fall, please share in the comment section below. And if you'd like some support in fighting fat, just leave me a message. I am available for weight loss coaching and holistic personal training on a face-to-face, email, phone, or skype basis!

Comments