Coconut Chia Cookies



I must say, I knocked it out of the park with this recipe! If you like your cookies subtly sweet, packed with nutrition, crunchy, buttery, and AMAZING, then you should try these.



My inspiration for developing this recipe was my daughter's box of snacks from Graze. She shared a sample of the coconut chia cookies with me. The two tiny cookies came with a single black tea bag. I ate the cookies and drank the tea, but not together. Both were very good!

When I went to the Graze website, I found I could order more of the cookies, but the price was outrageous: $8.99 for 6 very small cookies!!! The insanity of this price is still boggling my mind!

Solution: make some of these delicious little morsels at home.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a recipe anywhere on the web. I did come up with a list of ingredients on the Graze website, which is always a good place to start. From there, it was just a matter of figuring out the ratios. I used a recipe for Scottish oatcakes in order to figure out the process and get an idea of the amounts. (In case you've never tried Scottish Oatcakes, they are very plain and simple crackers, not sweet at all, but I find them outstanding. Maybe because I love oats!)



Ingredients:

2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup brown sugar (or coconut sugar)
1/2 cup dessicated coconut flakes, not sweetened
1/4 cup chia seeds
1 TB sunflower seeds (optional)
1 TB potato starch (or corn starch)
1 tsp baking powder
4 TB salted butter
4 TB coconut oil (or substitute more butter)
1-2 TB hot water

Preheat oven to 350F.

Place all dry ingredients in bowl of food processor. Pulse until oats are slightly ground, and everything is mixed, but not until everything is a powder. Add butter and coconut oil. Pulse until the dough becomes crumbly and begins to stick together. Add 1-2 TB hot water and pulse again until the dough becomes stickier and clings together.

Scoop out a tablespoon of dough, roll into a ball, then flatten. Place on baking sheet, leaving an inch or so between cookies. Repeat until sheet is full. Bake cookies at 350F for about 18-20 minutes, or until golden brown around the edges. Let cookies cool then remove. Store in closed container. Makes about 2 dozen cookies. Serve with hot chai or tea. Enjoy!



Comments