Coronation Chicken (Curried Chicken Salad)



When I spent a few weeks in England last summer, I was served Coronation Chicken on several occasions. This cold curried chicken salad is perfect for a luncheon, picnic, or casual supper. There are many versions out there, containing everything from cashews, coconut, and raisins to just plain chicken. I had it served alongside cold white rice, but I prefer it on top of a bed of raw spinach or leafy greens.

If you ask me, I say the more additions, the better. I throw lots of stuff into my Coronation Chicken. My recipe might not be exactly traditional, but it is exactly delicious!

Ingredients:

Shredded, roasted chicken breast (the meat from one whole chicken)
1/2 cup sliced celery
1/2 cup diced carrot
1/2 cup diced apple
1/4 cup sliced dried apricots
1/4 cup shredded coconut
1/4 cup roasted cashews or sliced almonds

1/4 cup cream cheese
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp tumeric
dash of cayenne pepper
dash of black pepper

Blend all ingredients for the dressing in the bottom of a large mixing bowl. Add all above ingredients and toss well until everything is coated with dressing. Serve over a bed of fresh spinach leaves, arugula, watercress, or even rice! Serves 4 hungry people or 6-8 slightly peckish people.

Comments