Grain-free Pumpkin Chocolate Chunk Cookies



A few weeks ago, I was very naughty. While shopping at Walmart, I spied some freshly baked pumpkin white chocolate chip cookies. Of course these little gems were not nutritious, and most certainly contained way too much white sugar, white flour, and bad fats. Did I like them? Oh yeah, I did.

Since that day, I've been thinking about baking some of my own pumpkin cookies. However, I want to make my recipe both delicious AND nutritious. Yes, it is my curse. I cannot bake with white flour! I just can't do it!

I googled around and found a recipe on a blog called Meaningful Eats. It looked good, but I still needed to tweak it just a bit. I substituted real, grassfed butter for the palm oil, added pepitas, and eliminated some of the spices.



These cookies came out very soft. They are like miniature pumpkin cakes. However, the flavor is fantastic and they are completely satisfying my craving for fall treats.

Ingredients:

1/4 cup grassfed butter
1 TB coconut oil
1/2 cup brown sugar (or coconut sugar)
1/2 c. canned pumpkin puree
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. almond flour (or whole raw almonds)
1/2 c. raw pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
2 TB coconut flour
2 TB potato starch
1 TB cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 c. chocolate chunks

Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare a large baking sheet with parchment paper or Silpat non-stick liner.

Place almonds (or almond flour) and pepitas in food processor. Pulse until almonds and pepitas are finely ground into flour.

Melt butter and coconut oil together in a large mixing bowl. Add sugar and blend. Add pumpkin, vanilla, and eggs. Mix well.

Add the dry ingredients in the order given. Stir well.



Drop spoonfuls of the batter onto baking sheet. Cookies will spread, so leave at least an inch between cookies. Bake at 350F for 12-15 minutes or until completely set. Let cool on baking sheet before removing. Makes about 2 dozen cookies.


Comments