Rosemary Roasted Root Vegetables



I was inspired to experiment with this recipe when I saw something similar on a blog by Aviva Romm, a holistic OB/GYN. I also have a gorgeous rosemary bush in my garden which might not make it through the winter, so I figured I should pick some and use it while I can.

Trader Joe's carries both the regular sweet potatoes and the gorgeous purple ones. Their color is purple both before and after cooking. I grew the beets I used, but beets are currently in season and can be found anywhere. If you don't have these particular root veggies on hand, feel free to substitute carrots, white potatoes, butternut squash, fennel root, turnips, or any other roots of your choice. You can also use other veggies like red peppers, cauliflower, broccoli, etc.



Ingredients:

3 small sweet potatoes, peeled and cut in chunks
3 small purple sweet potatoes, peeled and cut in chunks
3-4 medium beets, scrubbed and cut in chunks
1 medium sweet onion, chopped
6 whole garlic cloves
1 TB fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
kosher salt, to taste
black pepper, to taste
olive oil -- at least 2 TB or more
parmesan or feta cheese (optional)

Preheat oven to 400F. Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat on stovetop. Warm the olive oil for a minute. Toss all veggies in warm oil until coated. Sprinkle rosemary, salt and pepper over veggies and toss again. Place skillet in oven and roast for about 45 minutes or until all veggies are soft. Serve immediately! (Sprinkle with parmesan or feta cheese, if desired.)

Comments