Let Me Put You to Sleep



If you're thinking you're about to read a blog SO BORING it will send you straight off into dreamland, well, you could be right...

But I'll try and make putting you to sleep a bit more interesting than that!

Yes, I'm touching on the subject of insomnia yet again. Because my hubby and I are both obsessed with getting a good night's sleep. And despite our constant inquiries and discussions, we still struggle to consistently fall asleep, stay asleep, and wake up feeling refreshed. If you are middle-aged, dealing with menopause (or MAN-o-pause), and find it difficult (or impossible!) to get good sleep, then this blog is for you.

I've written several blogs about insomnia recently. If you haven't yet read those, I suggest you check them out as well. In past blogs, I have focused more on things to AVOID that can keep you awake--stuff like too much caffeine, other stimulants, alcohol, blue light from screens, exercise too late in the day, other activities that are stimulating instead of relaxing. Today, I'm bringing up the positives--stuff you might want TO DO to help your body and mind shuffle off to dreamland.

You might have already guessed that I always go with 100% natural solutions. Yes, you can take drugs to put yourself to sleep. I am not a fan of this solution. The sleep you get when you use drugs is exactly that: drugged. This is not the type of high quality sleep that refreshes your mind and body. Perhaps as a last ditch solution, when absolutely everything else has failed and you are at your wits end, drugs might be a temporary solution.

Instead, here is a list of natural sleep supplements that my hubby and I take on a regular basis:

1) Magnesium citrate. Check your magnesium carefully to make sure you are purchasing a type that can be absorbed and used by the body. Magnesium oxide is not readily absorbed. (I also wrote an entire blog just about magnesium, so you can look that up for more info!) Magnesium is a mineral which is crucial for relaxation. It relaxes muscles, as well as calms the mind. This is the one supplement I ALWAYS take before bed. Too much can give you the runs, so start with the lowest dosage and work your way up if you need more. I take 1000 milligrams.

2) Melatonin. This natural sleep aid is basically a hormone which our bodies make. As we get older, we tend to produce less, which is one of the reasons getting a good night sleep becomes more difficult as we age. You can find this in the vitamin section of your grocery store. It's inexpensive. I take 3 milligrams every night about 45 minutes before bed. More is NOT better. Taking too much can reverse the desired effect and cause irritability.

3) L-Theanine. This is an extract that comes from tea leaves. Studies have shown it to decrease anxiety and increase feelings of relaxation. I drink a large mug of decaf green tea every night before bed, but you can also try a theanine supplement.

4) Valerian. This is a common ingredient in natural sleep aid supplements like Sleepytime Tea. Valerian is used to reduce anxiety and increase sleepiness. It is a natural sedative. Taking too much can cause side effects like restlessness, stomach upset, headache, and other unwanted symptoms. I don't use valerian, but my hubby likes Sleepytime Tea.

5) Chamomile. This is another herbal sleep aid and is one of the active ingredients in Sleepytime Tea. Like valerian, it has also been used for centuries. The flavor is extremely mild. I prefer decaf green tea, but you might like plain chamomile or Sleepytime Tea better. Chamomile goes well with warm milk and honey. The calcium in the milk also helps relax the body.

If you try one or more of these supplements, let me know how well they work for you!

Comments