Grain-free Paleo Mug Muffin Mix



My daughter likes to try to the hottest new products people are raving about on Instagram. I am not on Instagram, but I tend to benefit from her purchases as she never consumes most of what she buys. Therefore, when I discovered a stash of Kodiak Cake Cups in the pantry, I went to town.

To make these instant "flapjacks," you simply add a quarter cup of milk or water to the dry ingredients inside the paper cup. Microwave for about one minute and your warm "cake" is ready. I used organic whole milk in my tastings.

I tried each and every flavor, including Buttermilk, Cinnamon, Blueberry/Maple, and Chocolate Peanut Butter. I really liked all of the flavors, except the Chocolate Peanut Butter which had a weird taste, perhaps due to the monk fruit extract. Kodiak mixes are made from whole grain flours, including wheat, and have added whey protein. I thought this might affect the texture of the cakes, making them too dense and heavy, but the amount of whey must be low enough to avoid this problem. I found the texture of the finished product to be light and fluffy, slightly but not overly sweet, and moist enough without being dense.

When I ran out of Kodiak cakes, and my daughter told me they were very expensive, I decided to try making my own mixes. This way, I can whip up a fresh, warm, delicious cake quickly, without having to measure a bunch of ingredients each time I am craving a treat. I store my mixes in single-serve plastic baggies in the freezer to keep them fresh.

My mix does NOT contain grain-based flours, nor any added grain. My microwave cakes can be made 100% paleo, low-carb, keto-friendly, with no added sugars. I did not add whey protein to my mix, but you could add this to yours if you're looking for a high protein mug cake. (I would start with a small amount, maybe a teaspoon, and assess the texture before adding more.)

Ingredients for the mix:
1/4 cup almond flour (I grind raw almonds in my coffee grinder.)
1 TB coconut flour (I use Trader Joe's.)
1 TB potato starch (This can be omitted for a keto diet.)
1 TB cocoa powder (optional; only if you want a chocolate mug cake)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt

Place all dry ingredients in a ziplock sandwich bag. Close and shake to mix thoroughly. Place in fridge or freezer to store in order to keep nut flour fresh.

To prepare mug cake, add the following:
1 TB melted grassfed butter or coconut oil
1 TB honey (optional; only if you want a sweeter cake)
1 TB sour cream or whole milk yogurt or whole milk (or almond milk to keep it dairy-free)
1 egg, beaten
1 drop vanilla extract (or cinnamon, or ginger, or almond extract, whatever flavoring you like!)

Possible additions: (all optional!)
A few fresh blueberries, or blackberries, added to wet ingredients
A few chocolate chips or chunks sprinkled on top of warm cake
A few chopped or sliced almonds or other nuts sprinkled on top
A dollop of peanut butter on top of warm cake
A dollop of whipped cream on top

Mix wet ingredients in a microwaveable mug. Dump in baggie of dry ingredients and stir to combine. Microwave for 1 minute. Check for doneness. If center is still liquid, microwave for another 15 seconds. Check again. Cook until center is no longer runny. Makes one mug cake. ENJOY!

Comments