Bread Pudding in a Mug



This recipe is so simple and obvious, I can't believe I haven't already written a blog about it. But I checked. I haven't.

Here is a little secret about me: I like to eat treats. Yes, I also enjoy spinach and kale salads with sunflower seeds, grilled salmon steaks, and parsley pesto. But I give myself a little (or perhaps medium-sized...) treat every day. I exercise most days, sometimes intensely, so I can mostly get away with it. If I wanted to be skinny, or display a 6-pack of rocking abs, I would need to cut out these treats. But my priority is enjoyment these days. Sometimes I even have a glass of wine with my treat!

Anyway, this leads me to the bread pudding. I have eaten all my beet brownies. Not only did I eat the first pan-full, I also ate the second pan. I may have to make them again, but for now, I'm trying to use up some other ingredients in my overstuffed refrigerator. Including a loaf of cranberry walnut bread that was on sale at Aldi--reduced from $2.99 to just 99 cents! Who could pass that up???

My discount bread expired today so I decided to whip up a little bread pudding. This is a single-serving recipe baked in the microwave in a large mug. You can use any old bread, cake, muffins, croissants, challah, even stale doughnuts! When I use something sweet, like cake or doughnuts, I don't add any sweetener to the liquid mixture.

My measurements for the ingredients are approximate and can be adjusted. Experiment with different flavors and add-ins--like nuts, dried fruit, chocolate, cocoa, spices or flavorings-- to create your own special desserts. Almost anything goes!



Ingredients:

1 large egg
1/3 cup whole milk (or half and half)
1 dash vanilla extract
1 pinch salt
1 teaspoon sugar (or stevia or other sweetener or leave this out completely)
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 or 2 slices stale cranberry walnut bread (or other bread, cake, etc)
Cinnamon, to sprinkle on top (optional)
Chocolate chunks, to top (optional)

In a large, microwaveable mug, beat the egg and milk together. Add vanilla, salt, nutmeg, and sugar, if using. Mix thoroughly. Cut stale bread or cake into one-inch chunks. Drop bread cubes into liquid and press down to make sure all bread is moistened completely. Sprinkle cinnamon and/or chocolate chunks over the top. At this point, you can refrigerate your bread pudding for several hours or even overnight before baking. Or you can bake immediately in your microwave for 1 minute. If still runny in the center, heat again for 15 seconds. Repeat as needed until pudding is cooked through. Serve warm! Serves one hungry person who deserves a treat.

Comments