How Many Carbs Can I Eat?



My last blogpost described the evolution of my diet from fat phobia (in the 1980s) to moderate fat (Atkins and Zone diets) to HIGH fat (pretending to do keto but never cutting the carbs!) to my return to the Zone diet which emphasizes balance and moderation. The Zone diet is 40% carbs (not too low) 30% fat (not too low) and 30% protein (not too low)!

Many people are trying to lose weight these days by cutting the carbs. Is this the best strategy?

The answer is: maybe. I know that's confusing.

First, we need to define carbs. Because MANY different types of foods are composed of carbohydrates.

Some carbs are pure sugars: white sugar, brown sugar, honey, agave syrup, maple syrup, corn syrup, etc. I would include candy in this category because candy is mostly pure sugar. Dried fruits are also mostly sugar along with fiber. Do we NEED to eat pure sugars? No. We can get our sugars from more nutritious carbohydrate sources. Eating less sugar will mean weight loss, fat loss, fewer cavities, fewer mood swings, better skin, and reduced inflammation throughout the body.

Some carbs are refined. These include processed grains, products made from flour, cereals, breads, pasta, chips, cookies, all bakery products, bagels, tortillas, crackers, etc. For many Americans, this category of carbs comprises the bulk of their diet. Remember the old food pyramid? The bottom tier was grains and everything made from flour. Do we NEED to eat refined carbs? No. We can remove all processed and refined grain and flour products from our diets and still be healthy. In fact, if we remove this category completely, we will probably lose weight, lose fat, increase our nutrient intake, reduce mood swings, reduce inflammation throughout the body, and feel better.

Other carbs are unprocessed, unrefined, and highly nutritious. These include all green leafy veggies, all root veggies, in fact almost all fruits and veggies are mostly carbohydrates. (Avocados and olives are notable exceptions as these are mostly fat.) Whole, unprocessed grains like oats, brown rice, barley, spelt, and rye would also fall into this category. Fruit, veggies, and whole grains offer higher levels of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and fiber than refined carbs. The body has to work harder to break down these whole foods. In addition, most veggies are much lower in calories than refined carbs. This category of carbs is a staple of a healthy diet.

If you are attempting to lose weight, you might be tempted to cut way back on the carbs. As you can see from the categories above, cutting out pure sugar and refined carbs is a great idea. But cutting out nutritious carbs like veggies, fruit, and whole grains might not be the best plan. For some folks, like those who are already obese, diabetic, or insulin resistant, going super low carb can work miracles. A ketogenic diet is composed of mostly fat, with carbs kept to 20 grams per day. Many people lose lots of weight this way, but it is an extreme diet. Over the long term, this diet can cause problems and might not work for everyone.

I am returning to the Zone, which means I am working toward eating 40% of my calories from carbs, mostly veggies and fruit. I have been tracking my carbs on My Fitness Pal. I eat about 100 grams of carbs per day. I keep my sugars very low by baking my own treats with zero added sugar. At this level of carb consumption, I am losing weight. The key for me has been to reduce my fat intake, while keeping the carbs and protein fairly steady. Of course, this also means I have reduced my daily caloric intake. This is weight loss 101.

If you are looking to lose weight, keeping track of exactly how much you're eating each day is a great way to start. If you need help, I am available for weight loss coaching. Send me a message!

Comments