Southwestern Stuffed Peppers



Believe it or not, I got the idea to make stuffed peppers from my daughter in college. She now lives in an apartment with three other young women. They are shopping and cooking meals together for the first time, and sometimes I even get a photo of their creations. The latest was stuffed peppers. They looked so yummy and healthy, I was truly impressed. And decided to make my own version.



I've never made stuffed peppers before! In fact, I don't think I've ever eaten stuffed peppers before! So I was clueless when it came to the process. Apparently, most people boil the peppers for a few minutes before stuffing and baking them. This seemed odd to me. I decided to roast mine in the oven before adding the filling. My process was easy, worked perfectly, and the finished product was not too mushy, not too raw, just right.



For the filling, I decided on a Tex-Mex blend of ground beef with taco seasoning, along with some leftover cooked veggies, black beans, and cheese. The filling is excellent on its own, so be sure to make plenty. You can roll it up in tortillas for burritos, or spoon it over rice, or just eat it plain.

Ingredients:

6 bell peppers (I used red, orange, and yellow.)
Olive oil
salt, to taste

2-3 TB olive oil (or coconut oil)
1 sweet onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1/4 cup taco seasoning
8 oz. sliced white mushrooms (optional)
1 and 1/3 pounds grassfed ground beef
2 cups butternut squash puree
1 cup diced tomatoes
1 can black beans
1 cup grated cheese (Monterey Jack, cheddar, or mozzarella)
Chunky salsa (garnish)
Sliced avocado (garnish)

Preheat oven to 400F. Slice the tops off the peppers (or cut peppers in half). Sprinkle inside of peppers with salt and drizzle with olive oil. Roast at 400F for about 10-15 minutes, or until starting to sweat. Remove from oven. Reduce heat to 350F.

In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onions for 5 minutes, or until soft. Add garlic and mushrooms. Cook until most of the water from the mushrooms has evaporated. Add ground beef. Stir until meat is cooked through. Add taco seasoning, squash, and tomatoes. Continue to cook until moisture is absorbed. Add black beans. Taste for seasoning. Add salt if needed. Spoon stuffing into peppers and top with cheese. Bake at 350F for about 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted and lightly browned. Remove from oven and serve immediately. Top with salsa, avocado, or anything you like!

Comments